Prep Cook / Kitchen Lead Woodbelly Pizza Co-op
- Date Posted July 02, 2017
- Location Montpelier, VT
- Category Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
As of June, 2017, we have relocated to a location on Barre St. in Montpelier. We are closer to many of our suppliers and clients and now have a place to serve the public and grow our connection locally. With funding from the Co-operative Fund of New England, our new kitchen will allow for more full time positions and worker-owners! Job description
The position of Kitchen Lead is filled by an experienced cook who has strong prep skills, good written and verbal communication and leadership skills and a desire to improve our menu and systems. This includes: sourcing from local farms; managing inventory, food and labor cost; and developing menus that revolve around local ingredients cooked in our wood-fired ovens and grills. They place orders from multiple farms and distributors sometimes two or more weeks in advance. They have a sixth sense for time and temperature (in addition to using a timer and a thermometer). While working alongside staff, the Lead is expected to be an exemplary member of the crew and able to train new staff. Additionally, the Lead is to be familiar with our invoicing and order management system(s) and have the ability to work remotely using a cell phone and a computer.
They are organized and have a strong attention to detail. The kitchen lead is expected to evaluate daily systems and use their best judgement to handle unforeseen problems. Pay is hourly for 30-40 hrs/week and starts at $14 and goes up to the highest level. If not an owner, the Kitchen Lead should be interested in ownership in the worker cooperative.The kitchen lead’s job performance is evaluated by the management team. Annual bonus for performance.
Although the Kitchen Lead is in a leadership role, this position does not carry the responsibility of hiring, evaluating, and terminating employees. The Lead’s relationship to the kitchen and event staff is not to be that of manager to employee. Rather, the Lead is part of team and is expected to work alongside other staff as an equal, requesting help and rendering the same. Personnel matters that go beyond problems of a procedural nature are to be reported and turned over to Celeste, Dave, or David.
- Receiving (coordinating if not available)
- Preparation of pizza toppings, appetizers, entrees and desserts
- Assembling appetizers in advance and leaving clear instructions for event staff to execute
- Maintaining organized notes and creating prep lists for kitchen & events
- Taking responsibility for cleanliness of Kitchen Tue-Fri
- Participation in weekly kitchen meeting
- Creating an off-site prep & cooking plan for events with the events team lead
- Interfacing with databases and tracking quantities used to control food cost for future events
- Menu Development
- Assisting Celeste with hiring and scheduling kitchen staff
- Ordering/Coordinating with David on kitchen tools and repairs/maintenance.
- Continually monitoring the quality of the work done in the kitchen by staying up to date on feedback from events/clients (from David) and from Staff (from Celeste) as well as tasting the food first hand