Lead Vegetarian Cook Ratna Ling Retreat Center
- Date Posted January 27, 2012
- Location Sonoma County, CA
- Category Culinary / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Ratna Ling is a non-profit retreat center based on Tibetan Buddhist teachings. It accommodates up to 40 retreat guests and is home to a community of approximately 25 resident volunteers who live and work on the premises.
The beauty of Ratna Ling's natural surroundings, the support of its small community of spiritually oriented people, and the invitation to explore ancient wisdom teachings can inspire a wealth of positive change. This is more than an opportunity to work in our state of the art kitchen and prepare food fresh from our garden or other local producers. It is also a chance to develop yourself inwardly and strengthen your skills of personal inquiry. If you are a cook who is burned out on the regular restaurant job scene, or if you would like to cook in a truly unique environment where personal inner inquiry, cooperation and spiritual values are supported, this may be a great match for you.
You do not need to be Buddhist or have any particular religious affiliation to apply.
Length of commitment is a minimum six months, preferably longer, depending on mutual fit, beginning middle or end of February.
Oversee daily operations of the kitchen and the other kitchen staff, which includes:
- Preparation of healthy, nutritious, vegetarian meals at lunch six days a week for 30-65 people, depending on the season
- Light buffet Breakfast for up to 40 during retreat season only
- Light evening buffet meal for 30-65 people depending on the season
- Occasionally overseeing preparing meals for approximately 100 people for special events
- Maintaining compliance with CA Health Department standards
- May be requested to perform tasks outside of job description when needed
- Provide leadership and direction to other kitchen staff. Includes supervising and training kitchen volunteer staff in:
- Food preparation
- Overseeing and rotating inventory
- Budget Management
- Minimum 3 years prior experience in institutional or commercial cooking.
- Knowledge of vegetarian cooking and balanced nutrition.
- Good organizational skills
- Able to work independently
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Receptive to positive and constructive feedback
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to work well with people
- Emotionally balanced Interest in experiencing life within a spiritual community
- housing (private cabin with bath)
- vegetarian meals
- monthly living allowance of between $750-$1,000 based on need and experience
- free evening classes on various aspects of the Buddhism such asapplying mindfulness in daily life, Tibetan yoga, meditation, andBuddhist philosophy
For more information, See Ratna Ling web site.
Compensation this position is PAID How to apply