Farm Business Specialist Intervale Center
- Date Posted October 02, 2017
- Location Burlington, VT
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Summary of Position:
The Intervale Center seeks a dynamic, mission-driven Farm Business Specialist to join our team in Burlington, Vermont. For almost 30 years, the Intervale Center has led a community food revolution that sustains farms, land and people. We have pioneered farm and food innovations like Community Supported Agriculture, commercial composting, riparian restoration, farm business incubation, and gleaning and food hub development.
The Farm Business Specialist delivers high quality, custom farm business planning services that enhance the viability of Vermont’s food system. The Specialist provides business planning, coaching, education and technical support directly to farm and food businesses. This position will include work with both beginning and exiting farmers in the process of transition and/or transfer of the farm. The Specialist works collaboratively with the agricultural development team to provide farmer-focused support to all types and scale of farms in Vermont. This position is full time with benefits.
We are seeking a highly qualified professional to provide business and transfer planning support to farms throughout Vermont. An ideal candidate will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree in agricultural management, business development, economics or related field. Advanced training in farm business management, economics, or small business development preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in agricultural development and/or business development.
- Experience working directly with farmers or other business owners seeking to enhance their business operations required.
- Knowledge of business and retirement/succession planning concepts required. Experience with farm financial planning preferred.
- Excellent budget and project management skills and computer skills.
- Ability to work independently, manage time and multiple clients, and problem-solve.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and comfort with facilitating complicated emotional and family conversations.
- A passion for agriculture and knowledge of diverse farm production models.
- A valid driver’s license and vehicle for travel.
Roles and Responsibilities:
This position will entail working with farmers across Vermont to provide business planning services. Specific roles and responsibilities will be to:
- Provide and/or coordinate excellent farm-based business development services.
- Enroll farmer participants, provide on-farm consultation, coordinate consultants, and support or lead business plan development and follow-up support.
- Participate in technical service provider networks and help advance Vermont’s goal of a strong farm and food economy.
- Collaborate with our team and other service providers on business coaching, planning, and special projects related to growing the agricultural sector.
- Represent the Intervale Center’s farm business development services in Vermont and nationally as required.
- Pursue professional development opportunities that enhance service delivery.
- Attend staff meetings, board meetings, and special IC events as necessary.
- Contribute to a highly productive, collaborative, and positive work environment.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes health, dental, and limited wellness benefits, including flexible work schedule, reduced price local food, and the option to work remotely. Position is based in Burlington and requires travel throughout Vermont.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, $15/hr or more How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineOctober 23, 2017