Assistant Livestock Manager Philo Ridge Farm +3 more
- Date Posted October 06, 2017
- Location Charlotte, VT
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
Philo Ridge Farm is a 420-acre historic farm that brings together the rich cultural past of the region to develop the local agricultural economy and respect the ecosystem. We are a beautiful, functional farm at the forefront of research, innovation, and conversation around our food. The property is used for a mixture of activities and operations including: mixed vegetable production, flowers, orchards, sheep, chickens, cattle, horses, haying, and pigs. We believe in treating our employees, animals, and land with respect and care. All of our employees embody the spirit of sharing, growing together and continuing education. We are in our second year of production at the farm and plan on expanding our operation soon to include a year round farmer’s market and a food processing facility.Job Description
The Assistant Livestock Manager will be responsible for conducting all livestock operations under the direction of the Farm Manager and providing support to the Farm Manager for a broad range of farm activities. These activities will include supporting all farm operations; hay production, livestock maintenance, building and grounds maintenance, and other designated farm related activities. Workload and tasks will change depending on the season. The Assistant Livestock Manager reports directly to the Farm Manager.
- Support the Farm Manager in the oversight and management of all aspects of the livestock program at Philo Ridge Farm.
- Field work (mowing, haying, fences and waterlines)
- Support the Farm Manager on all livestock harvests and sales.
- Build and develop the pasture and soil fertility strategies with the application of good management techniques, local organic materials, and inputs that are generated from the surrounding expansive acreage of the farm.
- Manage livestock feeding, breeding/birthing, fencing for all livestock (temporary and permanent) and pasture management for the complete acreage of Philo Ridge Farm.
- Support the Farm Manager in the oversight and execution of all aspects of the land management program at Philo Ridge Farm.
- Participate in general building maintenance and repair, including light carpentry, painting, cleaning, and organization of facilities and facility spaces.
- Assist in developing forage production, grazing plans, and maintaining livestock and grazing records.
- Participate in the general grounds maintenance, including weeding, trimming/mowing, trail maintenance, snow and leaf removal, and cleaning.
- Participate in the general maintenance and upkeep of farm tools, machines, equipment and vehicles as needed as well as concern for the visual presentation of Philo Ridge Farm.
- Coordinate and support other employees and operator vendors on the property.
- Support and participate activities run by the farm, including special events, farm-to-table dinners, farm lunches, and farm tours.
- Manage other tasks as necessary to support livestock and land management business operations.
Candidate/ Position Qualifications
- 3 years of work experience with at least one year of farming or farm-related coursework
- 3 professional references with at least one reference related to previous farm work or farm-related coursework
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic about livestock care
- Prior experience working with livestock; direct livestock management preferred
- Experience maintaining vehicles and equipment is desirable
- Experience in managing daily work and livestock schedules
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a positive attitude and strong skills in conducting interpersonal relationships
- A passion for developing regenerative agricultural systems
- Maintains a positive attitude and respect for all members of farm team and farm collaborators
- Self-starter who is able to work independently, and solve problems creatively
- Reliable, on time, proactive, prepared - daily
- Open to learning new skills and livestock and land management techniques
- Position requires working outdoors, including working in adverse weather conditions, and weekend work
- Flexible, with proven success in a dynamic and collaborative work environment
- Valid drivers license and clean driving record