Farm Education Coordinator Global Growers
- Date Posted October 09, 2017
- Location Stone Mountain, GA
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job Type Full-Time
Global Growers increases the number of food producers who create access to healthy, sustainably-grown food and also prepares commercial farmers to be competitive in their local marketplace.
Global Growers grew out of tremendous demand among international farmers, many of whom came to Atlanta as refugees of war, whom seek to reconnect to their agricultural heritage in their new home. Recognizing this need and exceptional talent, Global Growers connects local families to land, education, and markets in order to build healthier communities and strengthen our local economy. Global Growers is committed to cultivating growing spaces and other resources for farmers who are traditionally underserved and underrepresented.
The Farm Education Coordinator will serve as the lead coordinator for educational activities for beginning farmers at Global Growers farm sites. This work will be farmer-led and will focus on the integration of educational opportunities into the regular rhythms of the farm and seasons, in close coordination with the Farm Operations and Sales program staff. It will include development of Individual Educational Programs and farm-wide education schedules using culturally- and linguistically-appropriate methods that are learner-centered. The position is a part of the Education & Outreach program, which also includes a focus on advanced farmer education and food safety programming. The position is based in Stone Mountain, GA and reports to the Education and Outreach Manager.
The ideal candidate has a demonstrated passion for land, food, education and people and experience in agriculture and food systems. They have significant experience in education with an emphasis on adults and multilingual spaces. They are committed to the development of relationships characterized by mutuality and learning. The candidate also has an understanding of the challenges and possibilities related to local food system, including racial and social justice issues impacting Southern agriculture as well as experience working for equity of access and opportunity for all. The candidate should be able to motivate others to action and influence positive outcomes. They will be comfortable working in a dynamic team environment. Most importantly, the candidate will believe in and feel connected to the mission of Global Growers and the idea that our food system can and should be democratized.
Expected Outcomes & Responsibilities
- Individualized education plans are developed and implemented using methodologies that are learner-centered, objective-driven, and culturally and linguistically appropriate
- Informal, immersive agriculture educational opportunities will be developed and maintained in coordination with the Farm Operations and Sales staff
- Farmer Mentor Program is developed and piloted to create a system for farmer-to-farmer knowledge exchange.
- Plans and methods of program monitoring and evaluation are developed and implemented across the education program with support from the Director of Programs
- Quarterly and annual work plans are developed and reviewed with the Education and Outreach Manager
- Consistent and productive supervision is provided to interns
- At least 2 years experience in food production, food distribution, and/or farmer services
- At least 2 years experience in adult education
- At least 2 years experience in project management
- Experience working in multilingual spaces
- Understanding of social and racial justice issues impacting food and agriculture in the South
- Understanding of farm record-keeping and financial management systems
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record and access to a reliable vehicle
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Flexible work hours to accommodate some evening and weekend work with corresponding days off
Pay commensurate with experience in the range of $32,000 to $35,000 annualized with benefits including: Workers comp, healthcare reimbursement account, paid time off, and professional development fundsCompensation this position is PAID: salaried, less than 50k How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineOctober 22, 2017