Educational Program Manager Growing Places
- Date Posted October 11, 2017
- Location Leominster, MA
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Growing Places, a grassroots nonprofit organization based in Leominster, MA, seeks self-motivated individual who loves being outside, is knowledgeable about food gardening, is committed to social justice, and enjoys working with people of all backgrounds and ages to join our team.
At Growing Places (GP), we believe in the power of gardening to changes lives and use gardening as a platform for social change. We help low-to-moderate-income communities in North Central Massachusetts realize the many health, economic, and social benefits of growing and consuming healthy fruits and vegetables by building food gardens and teaching the skills to grow, harvest and use fresh produce.
The Educational Program Manager will implement all of Growing Places’ community-based education programs, including coordinating all gardening and healthy eating education programs for backyard gardeners, community gardeners and the public. This position plays a crucial role in the organization: delivering high-quality programming, building relationships with residents and community partners, and ensuring program improvement through data-driven evaluation.
Primary Position Responsibilities
- Design, implement and evaluate hands-on, high-quality education about growing, harvesting and using fresh produce, including our Community Teaching Gardens, Learn & Grow Workshop Series, Food Gardeners’ Gathering, Backyard Gardener Track and Digital Education (Growing Times, social media accounts, videos)
- Support 85+ community gardeners, including communication, leadership development and community building activities
- Provide materials support to include ordering, pick up, and distribution of materials, seeds and seedlings to participants, including assisting in garden installations/renovations/expansions
- Perform outreach, intake and assessment of applicants for all education programs and volunteer positions
- Assist with written and oral Spanish translation of education outreach and program materials
- Supervise seasonal, part-time Education Assistant
- Demonstrated experience with and intermediate knowledge of food gardening
- Demonstrated experience in coordination/management of community-based education programs
- Experience with leadership development and outreach
- Passion for food, nutrition, gardening and its impact on community health
- Excellent customer service/people management skills
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Spanish language proficiency
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Computer skills required – general Internet, Outlook, Microsoft Word and Excel proficiency
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects and tasks
- An undergraduate degree in agriculture, community development or related field, or equivalent experience
- Knowledge of North Central MA communities a plus!
- This position is year-round and full time. Must be available to work weekends and evenings and have independent and reliable transportation.