Prepared Foods Operations Leader Woodstock Farmers' Market
- Date Posted October 13, 2017
- Location Woodstock, VT
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job type Full-Time
The Woodstock Farmers Market is a bustling year round fresh market of fantastic food which generates over $7.5 million in annual sales. We are a classic “small giant”: while our footprint is modest, we have created a dynamic fresh foods market with many facets: from our varied national and regional specialty products and our commitment to local produce and meats to our prepared foods kitchen and catering department to our innovative open book finance system and our service crazy staff.
We are a member of the Good Food Mercantile and a Good Food Retail Collaborative Member (one of only 21 retailers around the country), the Specialty Food Association (and Patrick our Chairman of Fun sits on the SFA Retail Council), the Vermont Fresh Network, Woodstock Chamber of Commerce, Vermont Cheese Council and sundry other organizations.Job description
Our Prepared Foods team is the engine of market driving many guests into the store with a top notch array of lunch and breakfast sandwiches, to go hot entrees, soups and deli salads, to go signature marinades and dressings and a robust catering division. We gross over $1.5 million a year in a very small and humble kitchen space. The department places a critical role on transferred products from the produce, meat and fish departments. Our zero waste policy allows the retail store to always display the best product challenging the kitchen to work with quality albeit cosmetically challenged foods. Prep Food Department’s volume also involves critical local produce ordering from local farms as well needs from food service operations.
“Farmers’” (as we are called) is a proud member of the Good Food Retailers Collaborative, one of 23 of the most innovative and cutting edge independent markets in the country. Woodstock, Vermont is an outstanding and friendly town that combines outstanding arts, culture, outdoor sports with ease to NYC and Boston.
We’re looking for a Leader for our Prepared Foods Operations. This person must come with strong leadership skills and the positive energy to lead and organize a small group of people while being responsible for the financial outcomes of a department. There are 15 team members with varying degrees of food talents from dishwashers to sous chef.
The Prep Foods Operations Leader oversees the entire kitchen operations and works in tandem with the Sandwich Leader, Sous Chef and other line cooks in the preparation of daily hot case items, sandwiches, grab and go prepared foods, soups, cold salad case items and all catering. Our Prep OL is ultimately responsible for the everyday seasoning and quality of all such foods as well as the planning of weekly menu items, ordering supplies and keeping records and accounts. While the OL actively participates in many day to day cooking tasks this is a supervisory position, requiring superior mentoring and motivational skills. While the financial performance is ultimately the responsibility the Prep OL, the Market’s Open Book Finance is firmly in place and team members are responsible for reporting performance numbers during weekly all store huddle meetings. The Prep OL reports directly to our Culinary Director who ultimately plans out and supports the many moving parts of the kitchen, deli, meat and seafood operations.
This position requires participation on the Leadership Team (supervisors from all departments) and is responsible for attending meetings once a week.
Our Specific Needs:
- Possessing the ability to make a varied menu of food in the “Market style” including great soups, deli salads and hot entrees.
- Being calm under the pressure of performing in deadline situations. We are often preparing wedding or other catering items under time constraints and often with combined orders from the rest of the store.
- Having excellent day planning and organizational skills and having the ability to juggle the various daily situational curveballs.
- Modeling our no drama policy of personal responsibility and going the extra mile for guests and staff.
- Being positive in mind and spirit.
- Loving of service: actively looking for ways to help people while enjoying it.
- Focusing on great service to each other, being a good mentor and motivator for the kitchen staff.
- Being in outstanding physical condition. This job requires one to be on your feet for as many as 8 hours a day and to be able to lift over 50 lbs often throughout the day.
- Possessing outstanding ordering and financial skills. Must plan orders with wholesalers/farmers and balance the ebb and flow of our guests’ consumption, being able to anticipate our needs for the cases in a timely fashion. You are responsible for the financial performance of a department.
- Understanding the mathematics and semantics of the retail pricing of prepared foods.
- Strong merchandising skills. We value great displays. The Leader sets the tone and must be able to create and help maintain great displays quickly and easily.
- Outstanding sanitation skills. Keeps the high WFM standard in both the kitchen and the deli, leading by example while establishing and keeping scheduled cleaning projects.
- Good computer skills with proficiency in Excel spreadsheet and Word document programs in Microsoft Office.
- Great time management. This job will require 45-50 hours a week and requires outstanding management of your time and those around you.
Time Commitment: This is a full time job. At least one weekend day is required. Holidays, especially the 4th quarter (Thanksgiving and Christmas) and summer are our busiest times and require planning and commitment from this leadership position. This is an amazing opportunity for someone in the food business who has worked nights. Store hours 7:30-7 6 days a week.
Education: This job requires a minimum of 3 to 4 years in a related work environment.
Compensation: Simple IRA, Health Insurance optional after vesting periods; Market lunch every day; staff discount.Compensation this position is : salaried, varies DOE, $43,000.00 - $48,000.00 Application instructions