Farm Field Manager Slip Away Farm
- Date Posted November 21, 2017
- Location Martha's Vineyard, MA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
Slip Away Farm is a small-scale vegetable and flower farm located on Chappaquiddick Island on Martha’s Vineyard. We are proud to be growing entirely on conservation lands, continuing a long history of agriculture on the Island. Our mission is to grow high-quality, organically produced vegetables and flowers while also building community for our island neighbors. We strive to maintain a financially, environmentally, and personally sustainable business.
We supply a 65-member vegetable CSA, a 30-member flower CSA, a weekend farm stand and a weekly farmer’s market booth at the West Tisbury market. We also sell produce and flowers wholesale to several Martha’s Vineyard businesses.Job Description For the 2018 growing season, we are looking for a full-time field manager. This position is an average of 40-hours per week April through October (fewer hours in early and late season months). The manager will work closely with Lily, the farm owner, in creating weekly to-do lists and will be responsible for carrying out tasks and managing our small field-crew on a daily basis. The manager will experience every aspect of small-scale agriculture; we want you to walk away with a firm understanding of all the methods used on our farm.
Requirements for this position include:
- A valid driver’s license
- Ability to lift 50 pounds and willingness to work in all weather conditions.
- A positive attitude, flexibility, eagerness to learn, and good team spirit.
- Ability to work efficiently alone or with others.
- Willingness to prepare crew lunch once a week.
- Ability to find housing on Martha’s Vineyard or Chappy. This can be challenging in the summer season.
An ideal candidate would also have the following characteristics, although these are not required:
- Prior farm or other outdoor work experience.
- Experience with machinery (tractors, walk-behinds, mowers, weed whackers)
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! DeadlineJanuary 01, 2018