Farmers Market Manager Community Farmers Markets
- Date Posted December 06, 2017
- Location Atlanta, GA
- Category Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Community Farmers Markets is an Atlanta based 501(c)3 nonprofit organization whose mission is to develop a local food infrastructure for long-term sustainability and meaningful community impact. Our purpose is to preserve, root, and grow a diverse local food culture by maintaining an authentic space for all people to share community, fair food, and healthy lifestyles while providing a sustainable living for producers who steward the earth.
Through our unique, three-tiered approach to food access through the distribution of food (at markets), education about the food through educational outreach programming, and financial incentives to purchase the food through double SNAP and incentive programs and through building strong partnerships with mission-critical partners in our communities and the city at large, CFM’s markets and programs have had an extensive impact on the local food system in Atlanta.
The following markets are operated by CFM: Decatur Wednesday, Decatur Saturday, East Atlanta Village, Grant Park, the Ponce City Farmers Market on the BeltLine, and the CFM Bicycle Produce Cart. CFM also works in partnership to manage the Fresh MARTA Markets, which is a separate program than this position.
Community Farmers Markets is seeking full- time Farmers Market Manager(s) to develop and strengthen our farmers markets for long-term sustainability and meaningful community impact. We are looking for enthusiastic individuals with great people skills to manage our seasonal farmers markets and assist with market promotion within the community. Market Managers are responsible for two of CFM’s markets each. The following markets are operated by CFM: Decatur Wednesday, Decatur Saturday, East Atlanta Village, Grant Park, the Ponce City Farmers Market on the BeltLine, and the CFM Bicycle Produce Cart. CFM also works in partnership to manage the Fresh MARTA Markets, which is a separate program than this position.
Market Managers are full-time, salaried positions that are approximately 40 hours per week. Managers must be able to commit fully to a season (January - December 2018) to be considered for the position.
The Market Manager’s full-time position will include on-site responsibilities at the market during market hours, as well as off-site work during non-market hours. The responsibilities include five primary buckets: market coordination, communications, administrative, outreach, and additional responsibilities. Managers will work closely with CFM Headquarters staff to accomplish their responsibilities. In addition, Market Managers will manage market staff including Market Ambassador(s), interns, and volunteers, engage closely with vendors at and outside of the market and liaise with community partners through outreach and educational programming.
Market Managers Position:
- Full-time, 40 hours per week beginning mid - January 2018
- January - March will focus on training and onboarding managers for the 2018 season. Including hands-on training with our HDQ staff, professional development opportunities, vendor recruitment, community relationship development, fundraising, and planning at- market programming for the season.
- CFM Markets at the following times (April - December unless otherwise specified)
- Ponce City Farmers Market on the Beltline, Tuesdays from 4pm-8pm
- Decatur Wednesdays from 4 to 7 pm
- East Atlanta Village, Thursdays from 4 to 8 pm
- Decatur Saturdays from 9 am to 1 pm
- Grant Park, Sundays from 9 am to 1 pm, Year Round
- Mobile Bike Cart, weekly, times vary
- Farmers Market Manager
- Coordinate and supervise market staff, interns, volunteers, and vendors at all markets from set-up to take down, during the market season.
- Maintain and transport materials to/from market site to/from CFM HDQ using the CFM cargo van.
- Develop and coordinate all at-market programs for the following booths: community booth, kids booth, activity or special events booth.
- Plan, coordinate, and execute at- market events.
- Enforce rules and regulations at market. Maintain quality control. Relate to customers and vendors and resolve minor conflicts.
- Marketing and Communications
- Write and share regular Facebook posts, weekly newsletters, Instagram, and other promotions.
- Draft market layout/ market map weekly to ensure market flow.
- Track vendor attendance and vendor fees.
- Track and evaluate market activities through weekly internal and external reports.
- Track SNAP/ EBT sales weekly through internal and external reports.
- Attend regularly scheduled weekly meetings with CFM headquarters staff.
- Raise funds in support of the market(s).
- Maintain a strong community presence through building relationships with local businesses, organizations, and community groups.
- Implement educational outreach programs with the goal of increasing SNAP participation.
- Recruit and maintain active volunteers.
- Other tasks as needed
- Ability to drive a cargo van, including a current driver's license, and clean driving record.
- Pass a background check.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- 2+ years professional experience.
- Experience in project management.
- Experience in one of the following fields preferred: non-profits, community-organizing, nutrition, public health, farming, the local food movement.
- Strong interest in farmers markets, the local food movement, and the mission of CFM.
- Commitment to providing access to “good food” to all people regardless of socio-economic situation.
- Ability to work under pressure and in unconventional scenarios.
- Ability to multi-task and quickly adapt to the job.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds and work in extreme weather.
- Competency with Gmail, Google Calendar, Googledocs, Microsoft Office, Mailchimp, Basecamp, Facebook, Instagram and other social media outlets strongly preferred.
Competencies: The exceptional candidate will excel in the following competencies:
- Community Building: Develops strong, trusting, respectful relationships with others. Demonstrates honesty and integrity.
- Communication: Listens carefully and speaks and writes in a compelling way. Effectively communicates with wide range of audiences.
- Impact and Influence: Motivates and influences others to achieve outcomes.
- Critical Thinking and Problem Solving: Gathers information from different sources; sifts through complexity; and proposes relevant solutions. Resolves conflicts in a peaceful manner.
- Achievement Orientation: Demonstrates results and the ability to sustain and persevere through significant challenges to reach goals.
- Planning and Execution: Manages time and resources effectively, prioritizing efforts according to organizational goals.