Head Cheese Maker Cricket Creek Farm
- Date Posted December 11, 2017
- Location Williamstown, MA
- Category Agriculture / Culinary
- Job Type Full-Time
We are located on a beautiful mountain road on the edge of a small college town in the northern Berkshires. Williamstown has a great independent movie theater, the Clark Art museum, a wonderful theater festival in the summertime and several great restaurants. We are surrounded by preserved land with many hiking trails. Nearby are Mass MOCA, Tanglewood, and many lovely small towns. Williamstown is 3 hours from Boston and 3 1/2 hours from NYC.Job Description
The Head Cheese Maker will lead our creamery team in all aspects of the production of 8 different, farmstead, cow milk cheeses. Must have experience making a variety of hard and soft cheeses, and experience in sanitation and maintenance of a creamery.
- Work with our existing staff in a collaborative team environment, providing leadership and structure in the creamery.
- Lead the production of all the cheeses in our current repertoire.
- Follow maintenance and sanitation protocols.
- Help to teach apprentices all facets of cheese making.
- Troubleshoot recipes/inconsistencies with the products as needed; and help apprentices refine their practices and work out problems with the cheeses as appropriate.
- Maintain all required records, inventories, recipes, and data.
- Bring an upbeat and positive attitude, and be a leader on the farm. We expect the person in this position to always be on time, always stick to a schedule, help keep apprentices on track, and bring positive energy and enthusiasm to work every day.
- 2 years of cheese making experience
- Very much in love with cheese
- Excited about the opportunity to work at a small and growing company
Compensation: We provide a modest salary, some food, and possibly housing (to be determined).
Communication: Communication is of paramount importance here. We strive to create a work environment that is comfortable, open, clear, and honest for everyone. Every week we have a staff meeting, during which everyone sits down together to review the week and any upcoming news. During this meeting everyone shares personal highlights and difficulties of the previous week. It is also an opportunity to openly discuss any farm happenings.
Length of commitment: We are looking for at least a year commitment, but ideally seeking a candidate that is interested in a long-term position.
Application process and timeline: We are hiring on a rolling basis. We highly encourage a visit from any serious applicant. We do have space available to house an applicant overnight, and a 2 to 3-day visit is ideal. Working and spending some time together will help let us determine whether you will be a good fit for the farm, and will help give you a better sense of us.Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, less than 50k How to apply