Farm Manager Martin's Garden at Coleman Farm
- Date Posted December 12, 2017
- Location Roswell, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
Martin’s Garden is a small, diversified vegetable farm in the heart of Roswell, GA, a town 20 miles north of Atlanta, GA. The property is 7 acres with a fenced-in, 1-acre plot and a large greenhouse for plant propagation. We also have a small flock of chickens and a small herd of goats and sheep.
Our goal is to provide high-quality, organic produce through an on-site farm stand, CSA and local restaurants. The business and customer base has become established and grown substantially since our 2016 first full growing season.
We are seeking a farm manager to continue to grow and build the business while also taking the farm to the next stage of fulfilling our Atlanta Community Food Bank donation goals of up to 20% of what we grow. The hired Farm manager will be supported by staff including farmer or farm-hand (part to full-time) and a marketing manager (part-time who will also coordinate volunteers and support marketing).
Current farming practices include high-rotation growing, minimal tillage, cover-cropping, growing in landscape fabric, and solarization with tarps.
- Overseeing all aspects of vegetable production including greenhouse production, nutrient and pest management utilizing organic methods, harvesting, farm administration, marketing and distribution of vegetables through various outlets
- Planning, developing and implementing annual crop plan
- Purchasing, operating and maintaining farm equipment
- Work with the owners to develop a structured plan for the farm including a budget plan and quarterly financial reviews
- Perform daily animal chores including feeding, watering and collecting eggs
- Hire and manage part-time farmer or farm hand
- Recruit and manage volunteers with support from Martin’s Garden Marketing manager
- Bachelor degree preferred with emphasis in sustainable agriculture or business management
- 2+ years of successful farm management experience
- Strong knowledge of organic and regenerative farming practices, plant heath, fertility management, weed control, and greenhouse management
- Must be able to comfortably lift 50 lbs. and perform work outdoors in all weather conditions
- Enthusiasm and passion for organic farming and regenerative land stewardship
- Highly motivated self-starter able to work independently.
- Willingness and interest in understanding the financial and other business aspects of farming. The goal is to provide Farm Manager great autonomy, if desired, in determining preferred sales channels and growth strategies. This position is perfect for the farmer that wishes to ultimately manage their own farm without the initial risk and investments required of a start-up operation.
- Flexibility in working with Farm Manager to balance salary and stipend for living arrangements.
- Eligible for profit-sharing of up to 35% net profits after farm meets its donation goals.