Communications Manager Vermont Fresh Network
- Date Posted December 15, 2017
- Location Richmond, VT
- Category Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
The Vermont Fresh Network (VFN) is a 501(c)3 organization founded in 1996 to promote connections between farmers and chefs, and engage the dining public in supporting the local food system. Our network is diverse and includes a range of culinary professionals, along with farmers and food artisans. We support transparency and verification in local foods marketing; VFN Partner Members meet established criteria for purchasing from local farm partners. We undertake a variety of projects each year, from agricultural and culinary tourism to market development around specific Vermont products to participation in statewide policy initiatives. Our signature event, the Annual Forum Dinner at Shelburne Farms, draws a sell out crowd every year and celebrates the best of Vermont food.Job Description
We are currently expanding our network and our staff. This is a new position replacing a combined Communications & Membership Coordinator position.
The Communications Manager will:
- Work with the Executive Director on a strategy for educating consumers about local food, reaching new consumer audiences (including beyond Vermont), and demonstrating to our members the impact of mission-driven marketing.
- Take lead on DigInVT, a collaborative agricultural and culinary tourism project that combines the information of multiple member-based organizations to create a portal for finding authentic food and farm experiences in Vermont. The website DigInVT.com will be a major focus in 2018 as a new, upgraded version is scheduled for launch at the start of the year.
- Manage (and, where appropriate, expand) usage of the VFN logo to designate qualified Partner Members.
- Manage event marketing and promotions.
- Manage sponsor and partner recognition at events.
- Generate materials that promote VFN as an organization to potential members.
- Build strong relationships with food and travel writers and others in the media.
- Publish the Fresh Feed e-newsletter and DigInVT blog (the current editor will be continuing that work through the spring).
- Manage VFN and DigInVT social media.
- Use the Oxford comma.
The Communications Manager will be expected to work independently while meeting monthly goals, budgets, and timelines developed with the Executive Director. Past experience leading projects or programs is required.
Experience working with rural communities is strongly preferred.
The DigInVT project will involve developing new revenue streams with sponsors and fee for service arrangements. The Executive Director and Board of Directors are available to help manage this element of the project, but experience in this area is a plus.
This position offers significant flexibility in location and work schedule. Occasional travel will be required to meet with members in different regions of the state.
The salary range for this position is $40,000 - $45,000. Approximate start date is early February, 2018.
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Communications Manager Application”. If you are invited to an interview, we will ask for three references and a brief writing sample at that time. Deadline for applications is January 7th, 2018.
The Vermont Fresh Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, veterans, people of color, individuals with disabilities, members of the LGBTQ community, and individuals from diverse and often underrepresented populations are encouraged to apply.