Sheep Farm LAMBING Intern Tamarack Vermont Sheep Farm
- Date Posted January 02, 2018
- Location Corinth, VT
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Internship/Apprentice
Tamarack Sheep Farm is a 270-ewe operation in Corinth, Vermont, dedicated to producing good food, conserving heritage breeds, and restoring and caring for land. We keep two main heritage breeds: the Dorset Horn and the Tunis, along with a variety of crosses and commercial breeds. We expect approximately 400 lambs born each year. We rotationally graze our animals in the summer and use a combination of barns and out-wintering during the winter months. We make much of our own hay and use tractors for hay making and winter feeding. After weaning, our lambs are fed a combination of grass, grain, and hay. Our primary product is meat. We do our own sales, marketing, and much of our own deliveries. More information can be found at TamarackVermont.Com.Job Description
Tamarack Vermont Sheep Farm is seeking a Farm Intern, to assist with lambing season and overall flock and farm management in the winter and spring of 2018. Our lambing season begins February 15th. Duration of the internship can be flexible but will be agreed upon before internship begins. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately and the internship could begin right away if so desired.
Responsibilities and Tasks for Winter 2018:
- Assisting ewes with delivery when needed during lambing, maintaining a clean environment, feeding newborn lambs
- Monitoring health and growth of ewes and lambs
- General husbandry: vaccinating, worming, weighing, trimming feet, castrating, docking tails, health trouble shooting
- Daily chores, feeding and bedding of sheep, mixing and feeding minerals
- Record keeping and quantitative analysis of sheep performance
Responsibilities and Tasks for Spring and Summer 2018:
- Intensive rotational grazing using flexinet, solar chargers, portable watering systems
- Hay-making including equipment operation and maintenance
- High tensile fence construction and repair (our two main properties are already fenced)
- Soil sampling, testing, and amendment application
- Forage sampling, testing, formulation of animal rations
- Tending to bedded pack composting system
- Assisting with grazing planning
- Choosing future breeding stock and selecting and loading animals for market
- Basic farm construction: sheds, roofing, paddock fencing
Applicant Qualifications and Attributes:
- Strong energy level and interest in lambing
- Positive attitude, proactive by nature, organized and neat
- Excellent communication skills: verbal, email, etc.
- Interest in sheep, grazing, and grass.
- Dependable and on time
- Intelligent and hardworking
- Strong, able to lift 50 pounds
- Willing to work alone or within the context of a team
- Valid driver's license and working vehicle.
- Pluses: interest in or skill with equipment; experience with livestock, especially sheep; experience with software.
- Housing: A room in a house a short distance from the farm with kitchen access, free long distance, and wifi internet is available. No charge for utilities.
- Compensation: This position would be paid through stipend and this compensation will be discussed further with interested candidates.
Compensation this position is PAID: stipend How to apply