Greenhouse & Propogation Apprentice Serenbe Farms
- Date Posted January 02, 2018
- Location Chattahoochee Hills, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Internship/Apprentice
Serenbe Farms is a USDA Certified Organic, small scale (20 acre), diverse CSA and market farm located in Chattahoochee Hills, GA. We run a 30 week, 125-member CSA program, our community Farmer’s Market, and 2x/week harvests and deliveries to several restaurants. We do a lot with mechanization, and are very tech savvy and progressive. Our ultimate commitment is a beautiful farm experience to our dedicated and amazing community and CSA members.
We are the community farm for Serenbe, an Agrihood 30 mins south of Atlanta, featured in uncountable National and International Press outlets. Our community and farm are studied and modeled as the pinnacle for sustainable living.
We also pride ourselves on being a working educational farm by offering an immersive organic farming apprenticeship program, as well as year round weekly tours to the public, and hosted school and private organization tours. Our apprentices participate and eventually learn to lead all aspects of the daily faming process.
Serenbe Farms is Managed by Matt Clayton and Kali Foley, Husband and wife team going into their 6th season managing an organic farm together.
We are excited to continue growing our staff and farm for the 2018 season! We look forward to reading your applications.
Greenhouse & Propagation Intern
Maintain full season vegetable/fruit/flower seedling production for farm, Culinary Garden, and High Tunnel Production under direction of Manager.
Plan for and execute spring seedling production for retail sales of approximately 15,000 seedlings per year for annual plant sale
Coordinate/execute micro green production throughout the year through multiple outlets including a weekly farm stand and direct restaurant sales.
Provide educational experiences and tours related to greenhouse to visitors
Immediately join Field Crew for remainder of on farm work hours after all greenhouse tasks are completed
- Complete Pesticide Applicator License
- Follow and implement weekly seeding schedule
- Train to lead Vacuum seeding, hand seeding, thinning, moving flats around to harden off
- Maintains organization of seed storage area
- Maintains and organizes greenhouse materials and supplies
- Thorough record keeping
- Monitor germination/immersion; pests and diseases; heating, cooling and watering systems.
- Communicates observations immediately and effectively to manager
- Communicate transplant projections weekly to Field Manager and General Managers
- Maintain a clean, tidy, sanitized and weed-free work environment.
- Educate self on any and all specific requirements for each crop seedling
- Assisting Field Crew if needed in large crop harvests or on weekly CSA harvests
Strong work ethic and endurance for hard physical work, willing to work hard above and beyond when required
- Sense of humor, positive attitude and enthusiasm
- Ability to balance speed and efficiency while maintaining Serenbe standard of quality
- Physically fit- must be able to lift 40-50 lbs repeatedly and easily, and work physically all day in all sorts of weather doing repetitive tasks
- Must work well in solo environment and be able to communicate honestly and accept feedback
- Must have a valid US Driver's License.
- Have previous farming or nursery experience
Housing is provided and required for this position. Private bedroom in 3 bedroom, 1 bath home walking distance to farm. Cottage is in forrest like setting surrounded by trees, with small yard for grilling and relaxing in a hammock, as well as a small deck. Housing will be shared with 2 other apprentices
We work hard to maintain an 8am-5 pm with a one hour lunch break at noon on our farm, for life quality and structure.
There are occasional hours outside of this as needed.
Market Season Schedule is M-F + Some Saturday markets and on farm events.
Sundays- We rotate responsibility of light Sunday chores, to accommodate an additional day off for each staff member each month.
BENEFITS OF WORKING ON THE FARM
Free housing and utilities!
Lots of delicious organic vegetables available for your consumption- you will receive a free full Vegetable CSA share and discounts at our farm stand.
- Education from a 5th generation Vegetable farmer
- Being part of a dedicated community of people working to improve our local food system
- Potential to move up into more managerial roles in subsequent seasons at the farm
- Free Tickets to Playhouse Shows
- Wi-Fi at housing and Farm
- The beautiful, bucolic landscapes and amenities…walk to a coffee shop, eat with award winning chefs, attend loads community events, be treated like a rock star!
- Private tours of other small scale farms for education and networking
- Learn all aspects of market and CSA farming