Farm Crew, Full-Time Two Farmers Farm
- Date Posted January 04, 2018
- Location Scarborough, ME
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
Two Farmers Farm is a certified Organic four-season vegetable farm located on a historic farmstead in Scarborough, Maine. We’re a team of hardworking farmers using high-production systems, mechanization, and season-extension to grow a diversity of crops for local farmers' markets, grocers, and distributors. In 2017 we grew 5 acres of Organic crops on our 15 acre farm.
Our mission is to provide a customer-centric, direct-marketing relationship at every stage of the growing season and to all types of buyers. We produce excellent quality, sought-after products for the local produce marketplace year-round.
Kelsey and Dominic established Two Farmers Farm with a vision for a truly sustainable local food economy. At Two Farmers Farm, “sustainability” means a high quality of life for farmers and agricultural workers, excellent ecosystems stewardship, a dominance of family-scale businesses, and preservation of agricultural landscapes.Job Description We are now accepting applications for full-time Farm Crew members to start in April or May 2018.
New Farm Crew member will start April or May 2018 and must be able to continue at least through November 2018. New hires will earn $12/hour, bonuses based on performance, and “all-you-can-eat” farm veggies. Farm experience is not necessary, but applicants must have some outdoor work or volunteer experience. Two Farmers Farm has a safe, supportive, and well-organized work environment. Women, minorities and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Outdoor work or volunteer experience such as landscaping, trail work, outdoor science/lab work, outdoor contracting, outdoor leadership guide etc.
- Farming experience is not required. Applicants with farming experience must be prepared to re-learn skills in order to conform with the specific expectations at Two Farmers Farm.
- Interest in being a long-term part of our team, in either a seasonal or year-round capacity. E.g. This is not the right position for someone who would like a short-term gig while establishing their own farm.
- Excellent references.
- Ability to accommodate the seasonal schedule, outlined in the Farm Crew Handbook.
- Proactive communication style.
- Ability to work well in groups and independently.
- Attention to detail, ability to think ahead.
- Positive attitude, agreeable disposition.
- Eagerness to learn and willingness to receive corrections constructively.
- Belief in a local food system and Organic practices.
- Valid driver’s license, clean driving record.
- Ability to lift, and walk a short distance with, 50lbs.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to work some Saturday shifts.
- Ability to attend in-person interviews on the farm.
Duties: Farm Crew members are skilled workers who carry real responsibility and are actively engaged in improving the farm. Duties include:
- Working alongside Kelsey and Dominic, participating at in most aspects of sowing, planting, growing, harvesting, and packing produce.
- Day-to-day farm upkeep such as record-keeping, mowing, crate washing, and handling OMRI-approved substances.
- Some crew members deliver to wholesale accounts.
- Some crew members directly assist Kelsey and Dominic with farm management such as food safety monitoring, irrigation, greenhouse maintenance, etc.
- All crew members are expected to work some Saturday farmers’ market shifts; some crew members may be schedueld to work every Saturday.
- Harvesting is a top priority for the farm crew. We harvest vegetables on most days, with Tuesdays and Fridays being the busiest days as we prep for our farmers’ markets and wholesale deliveries. Nearly all of this work is done by hand.
Schedule: We strive to maintain a reasonable and consistent work schedule. During the summer, this is usually 45 hours/week Monday-Friday or Tuesday-Saturday. Please review the handbook for the projected 2018 schedule.
- Paid hourly, $12/hour to start.
- Seasonal performance bonus(es) awarded as earned.
- Housing is not provided.
- Free, excess produce is almost always available to crew members.
- Pay raises and additional benefits are offered to our dedicated, long-term employees.
Please review our Farm Crew Handbook for more details.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, under $15/hr How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline