Assistant Grower Just Roots
- Date Posted January 04, 2018
- Location Greenfield, MA
- Category Agriculture / Production
- Job Type Full-Time
Just Roots is a non-profit organization working to increase access to healthy, local food by connecting people, land, resources and know-how. We believe healthy food should be a right, not a privilege. Our programs bring nutrition education, connection to the land and a bounty of fruits and vegetables to our community members, with particular focus on bringing these opportunities to high-risk and low-income residents. The Greenfield Community Farm’s produce, land and team are key to making our mission a reality.
On the farm, we use organic methods to manage a diverse vegetable operation on a little less than 10 acres that produces food for a 300-member CSA, farmer’s markets, wholesale accounts, farm-to-school projects and other community events and partnerships. We are a farm focused on building community, both on and off farm, which means that we are interacting with people of all ages through farm programs, community events, hosting volunteers and providing a space for community gardeners.Job Description
We are seeking people who are excited about sustainable farming and eager to take on the wide range of responsibilities associated with running a physically demanding, fast-paced, public and busy production farm. This includes: assisting with all aspects of crop production, greenhouse work, field preparations and tillage, hand and tractor cultivation, harvest and distribution, assistance with animal chores, and working with groups and volunteers. You will also be expected to participate in and help facilitate small and large farm events throughout the season.
Who You Are:
You are responsible, flexible and personable, have at least two seasons of experience working on a production farm, (at least one full season of farm work) and can be happy working as an integral part of a small farm crew. You’re ready to take on the physically demanding schedule, tasks, pace and inevitable challenges of the farm season with consistency and good humor. You’re ready each day to learn, take and give direction, be patient with yourself and others and are excited about working intensely with all types of people. You have the ability and interest to work long hours outside in any type of weather – wind, rain, heat, cold; can comfortably and safely lift and carry 40 lbs. and have a valid driver’s license.
There is also a farmer-in-training aspect to this position, through which you have the opportunity and expectation to participate in group and individual check-ins and goal setting throughout the season. Ideally you are able and interested in sharing your goals and participating in feedback sessions with your fellow crew members.
Specific Job Requirements:
- Greenhouse work, participate in all aspects of greenhouse work and management, including one weekend per month of “watering duties” (5 total weekends throughout the season)
- Crop production; participate in all aspects of field management under the leadership of the Farm Manager, including but not limited to: weed management (tractor and hand cultivation), harvesting, transplanting, direct seeding, work in our two unheated high tunnels, and overall land stewardship on our property.
- Enthusiasm for working with volunteers and interns out in the field—you will lead individual volunteers and group volunteers of all abilities in field tasks.
- Harvest and post harvest tasks—for our CSA, markets and wholesale accounts. Assistant Growers take the lead in the wash area and maintain organization in our walk-in
- Distribution: Assistant growers manage our farmer’s market and CSA distributions (2 each week) and make deliveries to our wholesale accounts. Experience in customer service and ability to talk with customers is very important.
- Tractor work: We have one small tillage tractor and one cultivating tractor—all assistant grower will be taught tractor skills and will put some hours in our equipment
- Be clean and organized! We pay close attention to creating a clean and organized farm—you must be respectful of using shared tools and space.
- Desire to participate in the Just Roots community while at work—participate in weekly potluck lunches, and in daily morning and afternoon meetings with the farm crew. Our assistant growers work together most of the time—you must like working with other people!
- Ability to show up on time every day and be excited about working for a farm that find success in routine and structure—while finding joy in the way farm work can change from day to day. (in other words, be adaptable, while enjoying structure!)
- Drivers license preferred
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds regularly & ability and willingness to work in often uncomfortable physical positions for short or long periods of time (example: we work on our hands and knees often and we work outside in all weather).