Assistant Market Manager Durham Farmers' Market
- Date Posted January 05, 2018
- Location Durham, NC
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job Type Part-Time
The Durham Farmers' Market is a community of farmers, growers and crafters. We are strongly committed to local products: every item you see at the market was produced by the people selling it and it all comes from no more than 70 miles away. Like small farmers and crafters everywhere, we believe in raising food sustainably and being good stewards of the environment.
We have been offering fresh produce, artisanal foods and handcrafted wares in downtown Durham since 1999. Through the tenacity of our early vendors (many of whom are still selling at the market) and the support of residents who saw the value of good, fresh local food and handmade crafts, we have expanded to more than 65 vendors.
The mission of the Durham Farmer’s Market is to bring people together to celebrate the unique food and culture of downtown Durham and the farms that sustain it. We provide access to fresh food for all of our community, champion small farmers and artisans, and foster a thriving and participatory local economy.
The Durham Farmers' Market values:
- Small, family farms and resilient local economies
- Fresh, local food
- The health of all of our community
- Stewardship of the land and preservation of rural landscapes
- Bringing people together from urban and rural places
- Transparency and education
- Traditional, handmade farm crafts
The Assistant Market Manager position is dynamic, interesting, and meaningful. It is a part-time, year-round position based on 20-30 hours/week at $14/hour. Please note that hours depend on seasonal demands, staff scheduling, and special projects. Our ideal candidate will reliably complete assigned duties, as well as contribute creative ideas to further the market’s mission. We seek a candidate with initiative and self-direction, as well as an ability to work collaboratively with other key players supporting the market and growing our outreach efforts through the SNAP/Double Bucks program. For more information about the Durham Farmers’ Market, please visit our website. For the complete job description, please click here.
Assistant Market Manager Responsibilities
- Attending all Wednesday and Saturday markets, year-round. Market day duties include selling and maintaining inventory of DFM merchandise, assisting at the Information Table, providing courteous service to SNAP/EBT customers, posting regularly on social media, and more.
- Support for the Market Manager. The assistant manager will assist with setup, management, and breakdown of the market. In the manager’s absence, the assistant manager will perform all tasks related to running the market.
- Volunteer coordination. Assist with maintaining and recruiting a robust network of volunteers. Also, train and supervise volunteers on market days.
- SNAP/Double Bucks Program Management. Process SNAP/EBT transactions at the market and ensure both customers and vendors are comfortable participating in the program. Maintain accurate data and records to assist with grant reporting and to track the program’s progress. General office work includes keeping wooden tokens organized, tracking vendor reimbursement receipts, processing Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program paperwork, and more. Regularly communicate with community partners for the Double Bucks program, including the Durham Department of Public Health.
- Marketing & Communications. Maintain an active social media presence for the market regarding events, products, and produce availability. Update the website as needed and write one weekly newsletter using Constant Contact. Design posters and outreach materials as needed under the guidance of the Market Manager.
- Special Events & Program Planning. Special events at the market are designed to promote vendors, educate customers, create a sense of community, and invite new customers into the market. Facilitating special events includes marketing, securing supplies, recruiting volunteers as well as setup, breakdown, and crowd control during the events.
- Customer service. Treat all customers and vendors respectfully and courteously, providing engaged and attentive customer service from start to finish of the market day.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills & Experience Required
- Be detail-oriented, dependable, and punctual
- Have an enthusiasm for produce and other products available at the market, and a passion for sharing information, recipes, and tips for cooking or food preservation
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment that requires extensive outdoor work, setup and breakdown of events, and more
- Be comfortable speaking to small groups of people about the market’s goals and programs, including the SNAP/Double Bucks program
- Have proven project and event management skills
- Proficient with word processing and spreadsheets
- Have demonstrated proficiency with various social media platforms, including Facebook and Instagram
- Have proven customer service skills and a high-energy, positive, and friendly attitude
- Conversational level of Spanish language preferred
- Farming and/or experience working at or managing a farmers’ market strongly desired
- A minimum of a one-year commitment preferred
The Assistant Market Manager must have:
- A computer, internet access, and a cell phone for internal staff communication and social media outreach
- Reliable transportation and a valid NC driver’s license
- The ability to lift 50 pounds
- The ability to stand/walk around at the market for 6 hours with minimal opportunities to sit down
- The ability to work outside in all weather conditions, year round
- A high school diploma (Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred)