Dairy & Livestock Manager The Trustees +1 more
- Date Posted January 12, 2018
- Location Ipswich, MA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
About The Trustees of Reservations
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 26,000+ acres on 116 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 50,000 members.Job Description
About Appleton Farms:
Founded in 1638, Appleton Farms is the oldest continuously operating farm in America. In 1998, the Appleton family donated the 1,000-acre farm to The Trustees. Now a flagship agricultural property for The Trustees, Appleton Farms is home to pasture-raised dairy and beef herds, a cheesemaking operation, a 600 share CSA program, hundreds of acres of pastures and forest, and volunteer- and staff-led programs that educate the public about small scale, sustainable agriculture.
The Dairy & Livestock Manager (DLM) at Appleton Farms plays a critical role in fulfilling The Trustees’ conservation, environmental and agricultural goals and priorities for the farm, which is part of a network of sustainably-managed agricultural properties owned and operated by The Trustees. Reporting to the Livestock Program Manager, the DLM is responsible for implementing The Trustees grass-based, dairy and beef programs at Appleton Farms and supervises farm staff responsible for the day-to-day care and management of all livestock and livestock program infrastructure. The DLM is responsible for the care and performance of all farm animals, the condition of all livestock facilities and equipment, the condition of all grazing infrastructure, the quality and supply of all forage/feed, and the quality and quantity of all milk and meat produced. The DLM also manages the dairy and livestock budget at Appleton Farms.
The DLM will either oversee and manage the cheesemaking operation at Appleton Farms, or work closely with cheesemaking staff, depending on skills and experience. Experience with cheese and cheesemaking is desired but not required.
The DLM will also work closely with the Appleton Farms General Manager and other property-based staff to ensure that the quality and availability of milk, cheese, and meat support overall property revenue and visitation goals. The DLM also plays a key role in supporting educational programs and community events on this publicly accessible, historically significant farm.
Herd Management & Production
- Responsible for oversight and care of the Appleton dairy and beef herds and meeting annual production goals for all Appleton milk and meat.
- Oversee and conduct timely milking, feeding, and care of the dairy herd (approximately 30 milking Jerseys).
- Oversee and conduct effective management of the beef herd (approximately 80 head).
- Develop and implement breeding program for dairy & beef herds.
- Oversee and conduct care of barnyard animals to support educational programs, communicating and collaborating with property staff to ensure shared goals and expectations.
Milk, Meat, Cheese, and Added Value Dairy Production
- Communicate regularly with Livestock Program Manager and Appleton General Manager regarding achievement of milk production and milk allocation goals.
- Participate in the safe and timely transportation of fluid milk to and from the third-party bottling plant.
- Coordinate with Livestock Program Manager to arrange slaughter dates and cuts and transport animals and meat.
- Optional: Oversee and manage cheesemaking operation and production of other added value dairy products.
Regulatory Compliance, Standards & Systems
- Assure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations related to milk, meat, cheese and dairy product production.
- Serve as key point person for all local, state and federal inspectors and auditors.
- Develop and monitor compliance with all SOPs for milk handling.
- Develop written standards and procedures for animal care, milking, and breeding for review and approval by Livestock Program Manager and Agriculture Program Director.
- Develop and implement systems for record keeping with regard to animal care and health, milk production, and breeding.
Supervision & Management
- Recruit, train and supervise livestock team members, including staff and volunteers.
- Set team schedules and train team members in all necessary protocols and procedures.
- Manage the dairy & livestock budget.
- Compile and distribute weekly dairy & livestock report, including basic production, compliance, and herd management data.
- Serve as public face of the Appleton Dairy & Livestock operation, engaging with program participants, visitors, and volunteers on a regular basis.
- Build and maintain relationships with external parties, including experts and regulators (herd vet, state and local dairy inspector), vendors (bottler), and wholesale customers.
Pasture Management & Hay Production
- Oversee and conduct haying and nutrient management of pastures to provide for annual forage/feed needs of the dairy and beef herds and in accordance with goals set by Livestock Program Manager and Ecology Program Manager.
- Manage and maintain grazing infrastructure, including pastures, water systems, travel lanes, and fencing.
- Oversee and conduct spreading of compost, communicating with ecology and property staff a needed.
Infrastructure & Equipment Care
- Maintain buildings, and maintain and operate vehicles and equipment necessary for the successful performance of the livestock program. Assign other qualified staff to do the same.
- Oversee and conduct vehicle maintenance for all dairy & livestock program trucks, tractors, and implements, and communicate with Fleet Manager regarding vehicle maintenance and repair.
Support Overall Organizational & Property Goals
- Support Appleton Farms educational programming, farm events, and community engagement and outreach.
- Concern for the visual presentation of Appleton Farms; maintain neat and clean appearance of the livestock program areas on the farm.
- Make decisions that reflect The Trustees commitment to sustainable production, sound ecological land management, land conservation, and public education.
- Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline