Market Farmer Starting Own Farm Cedar Ridge Ranch
- Date Posted January 17, 2018
- Location Carbondale, CO
- Category Agriculture / Business
- Job Type Full-Time
HI! We are a family operated ranch in Carbondale Colorado just outside of the mountain town of Aspen. We love animals and have been a boarding facility for horses for 20 years and began farming in the past 5 years with Zebu cattle, large Black Pigs, chickens and compost sales. We have just added Alpacas to the farm and will be doing shearing and fiber workshops.. We are also home to Creative Space for artists and craftsman to work and collaborate in addition to being a place for visitors to stay in our farm stays glamping accommodations. We are just expanding into being a venue for farm weddings and events. We are in full support of local food and community and desire for our ranch to be a place for connection, creativity, and cultivation. We have been here for 20 years but just in the past 5 years we have entered farming and agritourisim and look forward to all that is coming ahead.
Excellent Opportunity for Market Farmer Looking to Take the Next Step
Wanting to start your own farm and live in the mountains? Cedar Ridge Ranch is looking for an experienced market farmer who is ready to tackle their own operation produce farm operation. We see our farm as a perfect place to help a farmer or farming couple get established in the Roaring Fork Valley. If you enjoy the mountains, outdoors, ranch life, and more this is the perfect place for you. This is not a paid position but an opportunity to start your own company with existing infrastructure and future employment year round possibilities. Farmer is responsible for all expenses and manage their own business. Lease length negotiable from 1 year to 10 or more. First 2 years lease cost is a portion of harvest for family. Additional years discussed with the vitality of the business as a percentage structure. We want you to succeed!
What we have to offer:
- Access to a large heated 4 season climate battery greenhouse for both seed starting and season extension
- 1 and or 2 new hoop houses with prepared ground next to outdoor garden space
- About ½ acre prepared outdoor garden with raised beds and beautiful soil. The soil was turned over last year. Last year’s farmer kept it well weeded, amended, and maintained.
- Space to expand the garden
- Water access from seasonal ditch and irrigation pump
- All organic and natural methods we highly encourage permaculture and biodynamics
- Potential onsite housing for rent available starting June 1st; studio apartment ( $1,300 + electricity and trash or bottom shared apartment 1 room $850. plus utilities)
- Built in community at the farm—we have artists in residence, employees, air b&b farm stay guests, our family and events that make for a fun environment. We are spread out so you would have your own space but also have on site selling, marketing, and socializing opportunities
- Garden has easy access from the road
- We generate great compost on site for sale and use
- Chickens and pigs available for fertility and rotational grazing
- Plenty of sun!
- Potential of part time work on ranch year round in other areas
- Additional potential flower garden plot
The person we are looking for would run their own business from seed to sale. We are here to support you, but won’t dictate how you produce or do business. You would have free reign when it comes to the vegetable production, so we are looking for someone who has experience working on similar farms and is ready to tackle their own project.
This valley has a lot of potential for more local food production. There are four farmers’ markets within 50 miles, tons of restaurants who aim to buy locally, a local food co-op, and a supportive community in the RFV. However, land prices and housing costs can drive farmers out of business. That is why Cedar Ridge Ranch is excited to be able to offer a low cost start up option. If we can find the right person, we will be happy to make a good deal that helps the farmer(s) find success and sustainability. We feel that the vegetable production adds a tremendous element to ranch, and would love to find a dedicated and entrepreneurial farmer who can run with it.
We are looking for someone to join our team and to contribute to the growth and success of a beautiful vision and take on a wonderful farming opportunity. The property boasts beautiful Sopris views and is abundant with life. We embrace and are inspired by nature and our connection with it. The property hosts a holistically managed boarding operation for horses, pastured pigs, cows, and chickens. The property also provides creative spaces for craftsman and artists to be inspired by and to work with elements from nature. We are looking for hard working, reliable, honest person to be a part of the team and contribute their skills, heart, and mind to this vision. The position is for a full farmer. Someone who enjoys working living in the beautiful Mountains with a passionate hands-on team. We appreciate self-starters with an open mind willing to learn. We encourage at least 2 years experience working on a farm and know of farming from start to finish from seed to market.
Are you the following? WE are looking for YOU!
- High Integrity
- Value family and friends
- Team Player
- Hard worker
- Self starter
- Must speak English
- Detail oriented
- Strong values
- All around handy person
- Enjoys nature growing food and caring for animals
- Time management
- Production food Farmer
- Fencing experience
- Steward of the land
- Livestock experience
- Sincere care for animals and their well being and quality of life
- Jack of all trades
- Watering vegetable production
- Possible greenhouse management and construction
- Hoophouse maintenance
- Rotating animals on pastures
- Construction projects
Thank you for your time and application!Compensation this position is UNPAID: barter Work visa This employer is willing to sponsor a work visa for international applicants How to apply