Director of Programs Georgia Organics
- Date Posted January 23, 2018
- Location Atlanta, GA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Georgia Organics is a dynamic and team-driven nonprofit with a mission to connect organic food from Georgia farms to Georgia families. Since 1997, the organization has served as the statewide leader in fostering organic farming, farm to school and community food systems. The next five years present a tremendous opportunity for Georgia Organics to capitalize on surging interest in the good food movement and expand resource development to further its impact.
Georgia Organics has three primary goals to:
- Increase the number of organic and sustainable farmers in Georgia
- Increase the number of children participating in farm to school programs
- Increase the number of Georgians eating local, organic food
Working under the supervision of the Executive Director, the full-time Director of Programs will have strategic and operational responsibility for key program areas and serve on the senior management team. The Director of Programs will develop deep knowledge of each project, program operations and objectives, and will provide program leadership, management and direct outreach. This position will manage four staff members: Farm to School Director, Communications Coordinator, Conference Coordinator, and Community Outreach Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Program Management & Administration
- Provide management, administrative oversight and support for key programmatic work including farm to school, community outreach and education, conference and communications.
- Collaborate with the Development Team to raise program support and steward donor relationships through superior proposals, reports, and in-person cultivation.
- Develop annual program budgets and oversee execution of program grants management.
- Collaborate with the Farmer Services Team to integrate farmer prosperity into all program areas and advance institutional and consumer purchasing from local and organic farms.
- Work with staff to develop systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project management, delivery of meaningful programs, and ongoing programmatic excellence that aligns with the organization’s strategic plan.
- Manage, coach, and retain high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, performance and accountability.
- Foster strong partnerships with appropriate organizations, agencies, businesses and other key stakeholders who can advance the work of Georgia Organics.
- Convey Georgia Organics programmatic goals, impacts and outcomes in collaboration with colleagues.
- Facilitate the assessment of new program areas and strategies that keep the organization relevant and focused on the future.
- Stimulate research, policy and business development to create the infrastructure necessary to produce and market locally-grown, organic food.
- Represent the organization to a variety of external audiences through writing, public speaking and other communications strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree and six years of program management experience.
- At least four years of supervisory and leadership experience managing a team.
- Passion and knowledge about organic food, farming, and food access issues.
- A team player who can interrelate and operate effectively within a collegial, yet demanding, work environment.
- Ability to handle a variety of constituencies, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and thrive in a complex environment with multiple priorities.
- Persuasive, credible, and polished verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel throughout the state and occasionally work evening and weekends.
- Commitment to the mission of Georgia Organics.
- Experience managing personnel, developing talent and leading high-performing teams.
- Proven excellence in project management with the ability to achieve strategic objectives and manage a budget.
- Demonstrated fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders.
- Experience in community organizing and effective meeting facilitation skills.
- Strong analytical skills and experience working with project workplans, timelines, logic models, and budgets.
- Impact and metric driven in all organizational and personal goals.
- Experience working in the policy advocacy arena and the ability to analyze policy data, legislation and rules.
- A high degree of intercultural competence and a commitment to building a team that brings a diverse set of experiences and is welcoming and inclusive to all backgrounds and identities.