Communications and Development Global Growers
- Date Posted January 27, 2018
- Location Decatur, GA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Global Growers is a 501c3 nonprofit organization based in Atlanta, GA that increases the number of food producers who expand access to healthy, sustainably-grown food and also prepares farmers to be competitive in their local marketplace. Global Growers prioritizes serving international farmers who came to the U.S. as refugees, as well as others that are underserved and underrepresented in sustainable agriculture. We connect growers to land, education, and markets in Georgia through our four program areas: Community Development, Farm Operations, Education & Outreach, and Sales.Job Description Position Summary
The Communications and Development Strategist plays a key role in strengthening Global Growers communications, as well as supporting our fundraising campaigns and donor relationships. A significant focus will be on ensuring our brand and values are represented in all communications. Additionally, the strategist will increase community engagement by designing and executing thoughtful and inspiring experiences (e.g., tours, volunteer days, events) that connect them with their impact.
The ideal candidate for this position is a communications ace. Clear, consistent, creative and compelling content is important to you. You are curious to understand the motivation of all audiences and build communications that are inspiring and exciting for them. You know that attention to detail is critical and you strive for excellence. You take the initiative on projects from the start and you enjoy bringing people together to accomplish tasks and work towards milestones. You understand the value of community and member support along with feedback and are discerning and thoughtful. You instill excitement about what we do to others and make their experiences with us unique. You believe in and feel connected to the mission of Global Growers and are excited to work in a collaborative, team environment that values transparency, accountability, and solidarity.
Expected Outcomes and Responsibilities
- Draft content for email, newsletter, website, social media, sponsorship, and other media to meet goals of the annual communications strategies and editorial calendar
- Generate regular communications/media reports to determine effectiveness of communications strategies
- Support back-end website maintenance using Squarespace
- Field and respond to general organizational inquiries or forward to appropriate staff to ensure appropriate follow up
- Coordinate recruitment, orientation, and logistics of volunteer and internship programs
- Organize and maintain target audience lists for communication campaigns using Salesforce, Mailchimp, and other tools
- Track contributions and prepare gift acknowledgements to support execution of stewardship plan
- Support planning, execution, and assessment of outreach events
- Support planning and execution of grant proposals, including researching opportunities, maintaining grant calendar, and contributing to grant writing process
- Liaise with GG staff to inform content creation, grant writing, outreach activities/events, and volunteer/intern coordination
- Prior professional work in the field of communications, writing, marketing, or outreach
- Excellent writing skills to draft content for multiple audiences and media
- Knowledge of various media tools and experience in learning new digital tools rapidly (experience working with Salesforce, Mailchimp, Squarespace, Canva, and major social media platforms is a plus)
- Experience in implementing communications and outreach campaigns
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills for communication and teamwork
- Self-directed working approach and initiative
- Understanding of the context of refugee resettlement and food systems in the Southeast US
Salary range $30,000-34,000 plus PTO and healthcare reimbursement account.
This is a full-time position requiring a minimum of forty hours per week including regular Saturdays and some evenings. Flexible work hours to accommodate some evenings and weekends to support outreach events/activities.