Farm Apprentice Chestnut Hill Farm
- Date Posted January 30, 2018
- Location Southborough, MA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
The Trustees is an organization with a fascinating past and an exciting future. Our places are open to all and we thrive by involving as many people as possible in what we do. Founded in 1891, by a group of visionary volunteers, we preserve, for public use and enjoyment, properties of exceptional scenic, historic, and ecological value in Massachusetts and work to protect special places across the state. We have helped protect more than 50,000 acres, including 25,000+ acres on more than 100 reservations that are all open to the public. We are a nonprofit conservation organization funded and supported entirely by our visitors, supporters, volunteers, and more than 40,000 members.
Chestnut Hill Farm is a 4th year CSA farm on a beautiful gem-of-a-property outside of Framingham, MA. It is a myriad of crop fields, pastures, rolling hills and woods on 170 acres. Located in Southborough, MA the farm is only a few minutes from the commuter rail which gets you to Boston in under an hour; Hopkinton State Park with is glorious lake; and all the hustle and bustle of the growing towns of Westborough, Northborough and Marlborough.
As a farm, we are continuing to grow – breaking new ground and building systems from the ground up to support our active CSA and farm-store. Under the leadership of a dynamic and experienced grower, this season will provide a unique learning experience for apprentices, as you will be able to be a part of a growing farm operation still in its infancy. Our apprenticeship is a well-rounded experience for anyone interested in diverse farming opportunities.Job Description
We are seeking people who are excited about sustainable farming and eager to take on the wide-range of responsibilities associated with running a physically demanding, fast-paced, public and busy production farm. This includes: assisting with all aspects of crop production, greenhouse work, field preparations and tillage, hand and tractor cultivation, transplanting, harvest and distribution and working with groups and volunteers. You will also be expected to participate in and help facilitate small and large farm events throughout the season from ‘Meet the Farmer’ to our Fall Festival!
Ideally, you are responsible, flexible and personable, and can be happy working as an integral part of a small farm crew. We are looking for people who can take on the physically demanding schedule, tasks, pace and inevitable challenges of the farm season with consistency and good humor. We need people who are ready each day to learn, take and give direction, be patient with themselves and others and are excited about working intensely with all types of people.
In addition to the above you must also:
- Have at least two seasons of experience working on a production farm, (or other physically demanding work).
- Comfortably and safely lift and carry 40 lbs.
- Ability and interest to work long hours outside in any type of weather – wind, rain, heat, cold.
- Valid driver’s license and clean (5 years!) driving record.
- Pass a CORI background check.
- Seasonally availability—Full Season start date of April 15th and end date of Oct 31st or Nov 15th.
Apprentices are paid hourly: $11/hr and should expect to work 40-55 hrs/week for the season (depending on start and end date). Apprentices also receive:
- CSA vegetables
- Optional participation in Eastern MA CRAFT workshops
- Trainings on mechanized tillage and cultivation practices, farm planning and record-keeping, tractor and farm safety practices and basic equipment maintenance, food safety guidelines, and more.
- A one year membership to the Trustees which gives you access to many exciting events at all of our fascinating properties across the state plus discounts on parking and camping.
- Rental of On-Farm shared apprentice housing at a below market rate with utilities included.