Assistant Grower Siena Farms
- Date Posted February 01, 2018
- Location Sudbury, MA
- Category Agriculture / Production
- Job Type Full-Time
We are a seeking hard-working, committed, talented individual motivated by a career interest in sustainable agriculture to join our 2018 team as an Assistant Grower. Our Assistant Grower is a core member of the crop production team on our 50-acre vegetable farm. S/he works closely with our Farm Managers to carefully and efficiently grow and harvest our crops, and assist with the training of our seasonal apprentices.
Our Assistant Grower is a seasonal, full-time position, April to December, with an opportunity to evolve into a year-round position. Hours range from 50-60 hours per week (10-12 hour days, 5 days per week). Two seasons’ previous farming experience is required, with at least one of those seasons having included substantial equipment operation. Compensation includes hourly wage and farm vegetables. We do not offer on-farm housing.
- Tractor work such as plowing, harrowing, bed-forming, transplanting, mulching, cultivating, mowing, fertilizer spreading, compost spreading, bed lifting, cover cropping, spraying and seeding
- Field work such as trellising, pruning, fencing, hand-weeding, hoeing, irrigation
- Participation in weekly production team field tours and staff meetings
- Greenhouse propagation
- Repair and maintenance of equipment, buildings, and other infrastructure
- Participation and leadership in general farm upkeep, cleanliness, safety and organization of indoor and outdoor spaces
Harvest and Post-Harvest
- Harvest and post-harvest handling, packing, and distribution
- Sales and customer services at our Boston farmers’ markets, as needed
- Participation in farm events such as our farm tours and volunteer days
- Assisting managers in the training of our seasonal apprentices
this position is PAID: hourly, under $15/hr
How to apply
Our Assistant Grower, like all of our employees, are held to high standards for organization, communication, positive attitude, respect and kindness for coworkers, work quality, and professional agricultural work ethic and schedule.