Flower Farm Crew Member East of Eden Flower Farm
- Date Posted February 05, 2018
- Location Bowdoinham, ME
- Category Agriculture / Design
- Job Type Full-Time
We focus on sustainable growing practice such as cover cropping, crop rotation and the use of organic amendments. We creatively use infrastructure and succession planting strategies to extend our season and provide the local market with high quality flowers for eight months out of the year. Job Description
We are looking to fill two Crew Member position, one full time and one part time:
*** Full-Time Flower Crew Member ***
We are looking for someone to join our team for the entire season, April through November, and who wants to experience the season from its beginning right on through to the end.
In this position, you can expect to work in the propagation greenhouse during the spring, harvest and process flowers for wholesale orders and bouquets, transplant and weed in the field, assemble weekly bouquets for stores & our CSA, assist with design work for weddings & events, deliver orders in the surrounding area, participate in building projects during the shoulder season months, and do other valuable tasks in the field including mowing, rototilling and field clean up.
The position starts as part-time in April (24 hours per week) and transitions to full-time in May (40 hours per week), with part-time hours beginning again in mid-to-late October. The ideal candidate will work a Tuesday-Friday schedule during the main part of the season. Previous farming experience is preferred, but not required. Pay is hourly (starting at $11/hour).
*** Part-Time Flower Crew Member ***
We are looking for someone to join our team for the busiest stretch of our season, May through the end of September.
In this position, you can expect to harvest and process flowers for wholesale orders and bouquets, transplant and weed in the field, assemble weekly bouquets for stores & our CSA, assist with design work for weddings & events, deliver orders in the surrounding area, and do other valuable tasks in the field including mowing and field clean up
The ideal candidate will work 10-hour days on a Wednesday-Friday schedule starting in June. Previous farming experience is preferred, but not required. Pay is hourly (starting at $11/hour).
Our ideal flower farm crew member demonstrates:
- A desire to learn about flowers and farming: We love what we do so our hope is that employees come excited to learn about flower farming, sustainable growing practices, and a host of other skills. We want people who are inspired by the work, interested in learning more and asking questions. It is important to us that our team members are observant and engaged.
- A strong work ethic: Farming is incredibly rewarding but it is also incredibly hard work. Farm work is physically demanding and so employees need to be comfortable working in standing or kneeling positions for extended periods of time. We want team members to know there will be amazing days on the farm but also some tough days when the work is tiring and monotonous. We have a reputation for always sending high-quality flowers to our accounts and expect our team to be attentive to detail.
- A willingness to work in all weather: Employees should pay attention to the weather forecast and come prepared for that day's conditions. We organize the day so that it is as comfortable as possible but we complete our work regardless of whether it is hot and sunny, cold and rainy, or somewhere in between. Employees need to bring appropriate clothing and outdoor gear.
- An ability to communicate directly, openly and respectfully: We expect there to be mistakes every season and lessons learned from those mistakes - that goes for owners and employees alike. If we do not give clear instructions, we encourage our team members to ask questions so that we can better explain the task at hand. Open, direct and respectful communication with all the members of our team is incredibly important. We appreciate and value the work of our team and couldn't continue to grow our farm without it. Our commitment to quality and efficiency means that we will give feedback when necessary.
- An ability to work both collaboratively in groups and independently: There are many tasks in which working in a group is most efficient. Plus we all enjoy working with other people - it's more fun! From time-to-time there will also be some tasks that are best done independently and team members should be able to self-motivate and keep an efficient pace while working alone.
- Punctuality: Every day begins with a morning meeting where we will give important details and instructions about the day ahead. It is imperative that our team members all arrive to the farm with enough time to be ready and at the meeting when the day's shift begins.
- All Flower Farm Crew Members must have a valid driver’s license and the ability to lift up to 50 pounds.