Community Farm Internship Smokey House Center
- Date Posted February 06, 2018
- Location Danby, VT
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Internship/Apprentice
Land. Agriculture. Learning.
For over forty years, Smokey House Center has used our incredible 5,000-acre land resource as a stunning backdrop for youth development and education. Smokey House Center’s fundamental purpose is to maintain a working landscape that promotes sustainable agricultural and forestry practices while engaging people in meaningful ways. The Smokey House Community Farm project grows food with local youth, visitors, and volunteers for donation to food security and other community food programs.
Smokey House Center seeks two Community Farm Interns for the 2018 growing season. Interns will live on site and assist with all aspects of vegetable and other farm production in a manner that integrates education partners, visiting groups, and volunteers. We’re looking for dedicated, community-minded farm interns who want to hone their growing skills in a public-facing, educational farm setting.
Under the supervision of the Smokey House Farmer and Education Coordinator, the Community Farm Intern will assist with the day-to-day operations of the Community Farm, educational gardens, blueberries, Christmas trees, and grounds.
- Seeding, transplanting, cultivation, harvesting, processing and distribution of Community Farm root crops,
- Light maintenance activities and repairs to Community Farm equipment, facilities, and tools,
- Tending to blueberry/raspberry production including mulching, pruning, mowing, and pick-your-own sales, possibly attending local farmers market during berry season,
- Help implement, build and care for a small poultry operation,
- Farm site and grounds maintenance including mowing, string-trimming, tree care, and fencing repair,
- Attending and assisting with farm education workshops and Community Farm events,
- Some possible activity/engagement with the Day Camp program for local youth,
- Leading some weekly public volunteer sessions.
The Smokey House Center Community Farm is pursuing Organic certification in 2018. We use hand tools and some limited mechanical cultivation.
Some farming and cultivation experience is helpful, though it is not required. Capacity for physical work 6-8 hours a day, comfort working in all weather conditions, ability to bend and lift. Must have a positive attitude and interest in work with folks of all ages. This is a growing community space and we are looking for interns who are excited about engaging with visitors and volunteers. An ideal candidate will be able to stay on through the fall, which is when the bulk of our harvest, distribution, and programming happen. We will entertain applications for summer interns. Start date negotiable. An Ideal candidate would be available late April to mid November.
- Shared Housing
- Educational and mentorship opportunities in a beautiful location.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline