Creamery Intern The Grey Barn and Farm
- Date Posted February 19, 2018
- Location Chilmark, MA
- Category Production
- Job Type Internship/Apprentice
The Grey Barn is offering an opportunity for an enthusiastic individual to fill a full time apprentice role in our creamery. This person would assist the Creamery Manager and Assistant Cheesemaker in all tasks including cheese production, affinage, packaging and cleaning. Our ideal candidate is methodical, clean, meticulous, willing to dedicate long hours and hard work to their education, has loads of enthusiasm and loves cheese! Culinary experience is preferred but not required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Work well with all types of people
- Lift and carry 50 lbs. unassisted many times during a day
- Stand on feet for long periods of time, work in a hot and humid environment, work in a cold and damp environment
- Work properly with dangerous cleaning chemicals
- Work efficiently both supervised and unsupervised for extended periods of time
- Make cheese
- Affinage cheese at all stages of development
- Clean and efficiently operate creamery equipment
- Perform milk quality testing and document results
- Follow raw milk regulations in the state of Massachusetts
- Follow Baystate Organic Certifiers rules, local, state, and federal regulations
- Document all product from beginning to end of product life
Stipend, hours and other requirement:
- Up to 50 hours per week. The days and hours worked on a particular day may change weekly.
- $350.00 per week less taxes
- Your own room in house with shared kitchen and shared bathroom utilities paid
- ½ gallon of raw milk, 1 dozen eggs and 15$ of other product per week.