Marketing Assoc. & Graphic Designer The Food Project
- Date Posted February 22, 2018
- Location Lincoln, MA
- Category Design / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Since our founding in 1991, The Food Project has grown into an internationally recognized non-profit organization that works at the intersection of youth, food, and community. For over 26 years, youth and adults from diverse backgrounds have come together to produce healthy food for residents of the city and suburbs and build local, sustainable food systems. Each year, our youth crews work with our staff to farm on 70 acres in eastern Massachusetts in the suburban towns of Beverly, Lincoln, and Wenham and partner with our neighbors in Lynn and Boston's Dudley neighborhood to create the food system they imagine. We believe that food is a unique vehicle for creating personal and social change. Nothing else ties us so intimately to each other and to the planet we share, affecting our health, the climate, and culture. Moving into the future, our goal is to transform the food system into a more just, community-engaged model, that supports food security for all.Job Description
What We Seek
The Food Project is currently seeking a well-rounded, self-motivated, and resourceful communications professional and graphic designer to join our marketing and communications team. Reporting to the director of marketing and communications, s/he will be a key staff member responsible for design and implementation of The Food Project’s day-to-day marketing and communications materials—both online and offline.
As part of a small organization, there will also be an expectation to participate in other aspects of The Food Project from time to time, including helping with volunteers, assisting on our farms, and working with young people.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, resourceful, and have excellent communications and leadership skills.
- Bachelor’s degree—preferably in marketing, communications, graphic design, or related field
- One to two years of communications experience, preferably in a nonprofit context. Development experience is an added benefit
- Exceptional writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Ability to prioritize projects, multi-task, and work within short time frames
- Results-oriented attitude, excellent organizational skills, and ability to think outside the box
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively both as a member of a team and independently
- Data analysis skills and experience setting up and monitoring databases and tracking systems
- Strong knowledge of email marketing platforms (such as MailChimp or Constant Contact) and content management systems
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Expertise with Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, and Adobe Premiere Pro
- Experience producing print publications, including managing relationships with printers, a knowledge paper stock, and the printing process
- Knowledge of and experience with web communications and social media platforms
- Knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and FileMaker Pro a plus
- Work with cross-functional teams at The Food Project to execute all graphic design needs throughout the year, including: the annual report, various direct mail and email appeals, website updates and other promotional materials
- Execute all design needs and manage the production calendar for other departments throughout the year. Items requested may include flyers, posters, social media posts, postcards, and other materials as needed
- Provide insight and expertise on how ideas can best be executed visually to ensure the desired result
- Organize and maintain image library
- Manage day-to-day execution of social media posting for the organization by developing content, planning, organizing and scheduling posts across social media channels adhering to the organization’s social media calendar
- Provide insight and expertise on social media trends and best social media channels to use for desired results
- Track social media metrics on a weekly basis
- Train other employees (as needed) to use and post on social media channels
- Using MailChimp, manage email communications on behalf of the organization
- Write, design, and plan several campaigns throughout the year in concert with the organizations marketing plan and needs
- Work with director of marketing and communications, director of development, and other cross-functional teams, to insure that organization’s email marketing plans are being successfully executed
- Demonstrated videography and photography skills—including editing
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
We will review all submissions, identify viable candidates, and contact ONLY those individuals selected to continue in the search process. The position will be filled when the desired candidate is found.
Please send your résumé, cover letter, a link to your online portfolio or three design samples, along with two writing samples via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line, write your name and the position for which you are applying, eg: “Jordan Smith – Marketing & Communications Associate & Graphic Designer.” Additionally, please be sure to include your name in the title of both your resume and cover letter.
this position is PAID: salaried, less than 50k
How to apply
The Food Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position.