Director of Finance & Administration The Food Project
- Date Posted February 23, 2018
- Location Lincoln, MA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Since our founding in 1991, The Food Project has grown into an internationally recognized non-profit organization that works at the intersection of youth, food, and community. For over 26 years, youth and adults from diverse backgrounds have come together to produce healthy food for residents of the city and suburbs and build local, sustainable food systems. Each year, our youth crews work with our staff to farm on 70 acres in eastern Massachusetts in the suburban towns of Beverly, Lincoln, and Wenham and partner with our neighbors in Lynn and Boston's Dudley neighborhood to create the food system they imagine. We believe that food is a unique vehicle for creating personal and social change. Nothing else ties us so intimately to each other and to the planet we share, affecting our health, the climate, and culture. Moving into the future, our goal is to transform the food system into a more just, community-engaged model, that supports food security for all.Job Description
What We Seek
The director of finance and administration, reporting directly to the executive director, will be a curious, hands-on, participative manager who will lead an internal team, as well as outsourced resources, to support finance, business planning and budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT functions.
The director of finance and administration will work with the executive leadership team in strategic planning and operations management. This is a tremendous opportunity for a finance and operations leader to strengthen the internal capacity of a vibrant and innovative social change organization.
Bachelor’s Degree required. The ideal candidate will have an MBA, CPA, or related degree. Minimum of five years of professional experience; ideal candidate will possess broad financial management experience.
- The ideal candidate has experience holding responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit coordination for either a division or significant program area.
- Ability to translate financial concepts and to effectively collaborate with colleagues who do not have finance backgrounds.
- Experience in grants management is desirable.
- Technology savvy with knowledge of accounting and reporting software; experience selecting software, overseeing software installations, and managing relationships with software vendors is desirable.
- Strengths include setting priorities; keen analytic, organization, and problem solving skills; and sound decision making.
- Strong communication and relationship building skills with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- A commitment to personal and social change.
- Keep executive leadership team informed about the organization’s financial status.
- Prepare and present financial reports for the executive director, board of trustees, and executive leadership team. Oversee all financial accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the executive director and executive leadership team.
- Work with regional directors and farm staff to develop multi-year plans for farm operations.
- Supervise business manager and accountant.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Update and implement all necessary business and accounting practices.
- Develop asset management plan in collaboration with executive director and treasurer.
- Oversee The Food Project’s risk management programs, including insurance, security, safety, and health.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Manage and improve compensation and benefits packages, performance evaluation tools, and recruiting practices.
- Train staff on financial policies.
- Work with technology consultants and staff to develop and implement multi-year technology plans.
- Provide financial input for The Food Project’s strategic planning efforts.
Compensation commensurate with experience.
Please send resume and cover letter via email to: email@example.com. In the subject line, write your name and the position for which you are applying, eg: “Jordan Smith – Director of Finance and Administration.” Additionally, please be sure to include your name in the title of both your resume and cover letter.
The Food Project is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to creating a multicultural organization. We actively seek a diverse pool of candidates for this position.Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, 50k to 100k How to apply