Org. Foods Production Team Member South River Miso Company
- Date Posted May 14, 2018
- Location Conway, MA
- Category Production
- Job Type Full-Time
South River Miso Company is a family owned business that was founded in1979 and employs about 15 people. We are located in the quiet countryside along the South River in western Massachusetts. Currently, we produce ten varieties of certified organic, unpasteurized miso which is a traditional fermented Japanese seasoning made from grains and beans that is full of beneficial probiotics and enzymes. Through online orders we ship miso to individuals throughout the United States. We also ship miso directly to stores and supply several organic food distributors. Visit our website at www.southrivermiso.comJob Description
Open mind, open heart, and a positive outlook. Careful attention to detail. Be a team player but also able to work independently on a daily basis. An interest in natural foods and developing the potential of miso as a healing food is essential.
This position requires the ability to engage in active physical work, including lifting approximately 50+ pounds. Strong limbs and a strong back are necessary. There will be training in all facets of miso making, including harvesting, and preparing miso for packing. One will need to take active interest in and master many details of the craft upon which South River’s reputation and integrity depends.
Overview of Specific Tasks:
- Engage in all aspects of miso making, working effectively both with others and independently.
- Capacity for close observation and for taking directions well.
- Maintaining order and cleanliness in the shop.
- Some weekend work as needed in the production schedule.
- Keep careful records of location, identification by variety/lot number, and maturity dates of all miso.
- Harvesting miso, as well as logging and labeling amounts removed from vats.
- Attention to maturity, consistency, and quality of miso for ease of packing and customer satisfaction.
- Harvesting tamari and keeping careful records in the process.
- Maintain order and cleanliness in the vat building.
Other assignments will be delegated as necessary.
This is a year round position. The hours of work are 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday with the need for additional hours on occasion. There is a one hour lunch break.
Competitive wages offered along with benefits such as paid time off, daily natural foods lunches provided, moderate amounts of miso for personal use at no charge and a vegetable share from Natural Roots CSA. Health and dental insurance are not currently offered for this position.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, varies DOE, $13.00 - $15.00 How to apply