Recipe Writing/Testing Fellowship The League of Kitchens
- Date Posted May 14, 2018
- Location Los Angeles, CA
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job type Freelance
The League of Kitchens is a culinary dream-team of immigrants from around the world who will welcome you into their homes, teach you their family recipes, and inspire you with their personal stories. We offer cooking classes and tours in New York City and Los Angeles.
We opened in NYC in 2014, and we just opened a second location in LA in October 2018. We currently have 12 instructors from all over the world (soon to be 15!), and have taught thousands of students from the U.S. and abroad.
This participatory learning / cooking / eating / sharing experience starts with an interactive cooking lesson and leads into a celebratory dinner. Each experience offers opportunities for meaningful connection and social interaction, cultural engagement and exchange, culinary learning and discovery, and exceptional eating and drinking. Through this experience, we seek to build cross-cultural connection and understanding, and to increase access to traditional cooking knowledge.
The League of Kitchens has been featured in the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Oprah Magazine, the Chew, Tasting Table, Saveur, The Splendid Table, and Time Out New York, among others. Conde Nast Traveler called the League of Kitchens “quite possibly the coolest foodie thing to do in NYC whether you're a visitor or local.”
We’re looking for a smart, big-hearted, creative, self-directed, flexible, and detail-oriented Recipe Writer/Tester to help us write and test the recipes for one workshop menu of our new Iranian instructor (5-7 recipes).
She is an exceptional home cooks who learned to cook from her mother and grandmother, and she makes everything from scratch using traditional methods and techniques.
You will have the opportunity to cook with and learn from her as you translate her informal cooking processes into standardized, tested recipes that we can share with our students.
If all goes well, there's the possibility of continuing to work with us as we hire more instructors.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Cook with our Iranian instructor and translate her informal cooking processes into standardized, well-written, tested recipes.
- You will write 5-7 recipes for one of her teaching menus.
Who are we looking for?
- You're a passionate cook and an adventurous eater.
- You have professional experience writing and testing recipes.
- Ideally, you have experience working with people and communities from different backgrounds and cultures, particularly non-native English speakers.
- You’re super organized, dependable, thorough, and detail-oriented.
- You’re self-directed and self-motivated. You’re as happy working on your own as you are collaborating with others. You take initiative and go the extra mile. You’re good at prioritizing and organizing workflow, and juggling multiple tasks. You’re always trying to find ways to improve your work and your process.
- You’re flexible and adaptive and have a great sense of humor.
Hours: You will spend one whole day cooking with our Iranian instructor. Then you will write and test the recipes on your own time.
Dates: You must be available for the cooking day on one of these days: Fri, Dec 21, Sat, Dec 22, or Fri, Dec 28
All recipes must be written and tested by mid-January.
Compensation: $150 + reimbursement for food costs for recipe testing.
Location: Flexible/Shifting. (But applicant must be based in the Los Angeles area.)Compensation this position is : stipend / non-monetary compensation Application instructions