Cooking Matters Spanish Instructor Open Hand Atlanta
- Date Posted May 17, 2018
- Location Atlanta, GA
- Category Culinary / Education
- Job Type Full-Time
At Open Hand Atlanta, we believe everyone deserves access to proper nutrition. No matter your age. No matter where you call home. And no matter your health condition. We aim to promote healthier, self-sufficient communities by delivering nutrition education directly to where people live, work, and play. The program increases individuals skills, knowledge and confidence to prepare a healthy affordable meal by focusing on cooking technique, nutrition, and budgeting.Job Description
Open Hand Cooking Matters (OHCM) is focused on the low-income population in Georgia who are at risk of hunger and are more susceptible to obesity and other behavior based risk factors and diseases. The Cooking Matters Spanish Coordinator will support the mission of Open Hand/Atlanta providing nutrition education with Cooking Matters’ Share Our Strength 6 week Curricula, store tours, and cooking demonstrations around Metro Atlanta for the Latino community.
This full time position is for a proficient bi-lingual Spanish speaking instructor.
JOB SKILLS / RESPONSIBILITES:
- Market programs to the Latino community to build awareness, credibility, and demand
- Coordinate all Cooking Matters classes, materials, teams, instruction in Metro-Atlanta for Spanish speaking programming.
- Identify and develop relationships in Latino/Spanish community with potential community agencies to host Cooking Matters courses and recruit course participants
- Assist with site visits to prospective community agencies in Latino Community
- Work with agency staff to schedule classes and carry out shared expectations and responsibilities for hosting a course
- Develop outreach materials in Spanish
Course and Program Management
- Lead hands-on nutrition education classes for low-income Adults, Teens, and Kids at risk of hunger across Metro- Atlanta
- Coordinate and conduct grocery store tours for Adults across Metro Atlanta
- Support and prepare healthy food demonstrations in the community as needed
- Administer paper surveys to participants and upload to database
- Work with Program Manager in maintaining updated program calendar
- Manage class materials, and budgets for classes
- Assist maintaining program inventory
- Program promotion: attend Cooking Matters events and assists in the planning
- Translate written material to Spanish
- Assist and develop material for trainings
- Participate in national Cooking Matters, department, and agency meetings and in-person, web conference and overnight trainings as required
- Bachelor’s degree in a health, culinary, or nutrition field, or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, including the ability to make public presentations in English and Spanish
- Basic culinary skills and a strong interest in cooking
- Must have a passion to help the Latino/Spanish communities and work for a mission-driven organization
- Ability to work individually in a self-directed manner and as part of a team in group projects
- Confidence working in a fast-paced, highly energetic setting in which you are able to help people calmly and with compassion.
- Ability to effectively market a program and pursue outreach opportunities
- Excellent organizational skills, proven ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, and to meet deadlines
- Ability to work with people from a variety of racial, cultural, and economic backgrounds, with various lifestyles, sexual orientations, and of all ages, including professional chefs, social service providers, volunteers, and low-income participants.
- Experience managing volunteers
- Proficient knowledge of computer software (Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, Outlook, and Publisher) and ability to learn new systems quickly
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends for the purposes of conducting classes and attending community meetings
- Ability to travel for trainings (some overnight)
- Working vehicle and valid driver’s license
- Background check and drug screen required
- Must be able to life at least 30 pounds on a continuous basis and stand for long period periods of time
Employment Type: Full-timeCompensation this position is PAID: salaried, less than 50k How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline