Dairy/Flock Manager Lillooet Sheep & Cheesery
- Date Posted May 29, 2018
- Location Boxford, MA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
Lillooet Sheep and Cheesery is a brand new grass-based sheep dairy and artisan cheese making business located 25 miles north of Boston. We are excited to be developing a milking program for our growing flock of East Friesian/Awassi sheep, sustainable pasture management program, forest stewardship plan, and cheese making operation. We are pleased to be at a point where we are looking for an experienced flock manager to take our farm forward. Lillooet Farm is located in the historic district of Boxford, Massachusetts and is committed to restorative, sustainable agriculture and being a positive addition to our community.
The duties, responsibilities and expectations are listed below:
- Soil evaluation – ph levels, soil health
- Pasture evaluation and renovation- Recognizing when a given area is ready to be grazed, allowing the correct amount of grazing, moving sheep off before overgrazing occurs.
- Communicating with the team to produce the best milk for cheesemaking.
Dairy herd management:
- General health – general awareness and recognition of signs of illness. Use of Obsalim protocols.
- Milking seasonally
- Udder health
- As much use of natural, herbal, and holistic healthcare as possible.
- Lambing – monitoring of herd for imminent lambs, assist with birth if needed, follow up to be sure lamb is suckling. Involves some long days and late nights.
- Breeding – Currently we are breeding an Awassi ram with our East Friesian flock, but are working towards using AI
- Mineral and dietary supplementation management
- Hoof care
Milking and Dairy
- Milk quality is paramount.
- Maintain milking system and follow cleaning protocols.
- Keep dairy barn exceptionally clean and organized.
- Reporting and helping to facilitate any required repairs.
General personality and trait requirements:
- Excellent communicator
- Clean and organized
- Love of land and dairy animals
- Some dairy experience required
The position is year round, PAID: salaried, based on experience, possibly includes housing and a partial food stipend (meat, eggs, cheese). Boxford is a great small town with an excellent school system and a rich history of agriculture. The close proximity (30 min) to Boston offers an excellent market and quality of life. Please contact Nathaniel Higley at firstname.lastname@example.orgCompensation this position is PAID: salaried, varies DOE, $40,000.00 - $60,000.00 How to apply