Gleaning Coordinator Boston Area Gleaners
- Date Posted June 04, 2018
- Location Waltham, MA
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Boston Area Gleaners, Inc. is a non-profit organization dedicated to rescuing surplus farm crops for people in need. We distribute high quality, local produce to food pantries and meal programs by working closely with farmers, providing volunteer labor to harvest what would otherwise be plowed under. We are building a reliable supply chain of agricultural surplus to regional food agencies that serve people in need. By organizing volunteers to harvest and sort crops on farms, we have gleaned and donated over 1,700,000 pounds of high quality produce since our founding in 2004.Job Description
Do you want to harvest carrots in the fall, but not have to weed them in the summer? Do you want your harvest to provide a healthy meal to folks who otherwise couldn’t afford to buy local, fresh, and healthy fruit and vegetables? Do you want to get to know and learn about many different farms in eastern Massachusetts? Come work with the Boston Area Gleaners for the 2018 Gleaning Season! Both positions are full time and from July - early January, and are based from our office in Waltham, MA.
We are looking to fill our Gleaning Coordinator (equivalent to an Assistant Grower) and Gleaning Assistant (equivalent to Field Crew) positions for the 2018 season. You will enjoy working with volunteers while harvesting all of the surplus vegetables and fruit that eastern Massachusetts has to offer. And you will know that this produce and this work is helping to reshape the food system so that local and healthy food access in our region increases across all walks of life. Pay range for qualified Gleaning Coordinators is $16-$18, based on experience. Pay range for qualified Gleaning Assistants is $14-$16, based on experience.
- organizing and executing gleaning trips on 80+ farms in eastern Massachusetts
- managing and directing volunteers in harvesting, sorting, and packing produce
- distributing produce to our partner recipient agencies via deliveries and pickups at our facilities
- collecting and recording relevant program data
- assisting with inventory management
- assisting with program development as needed
Qualified candidates will have:
- One full season of vegetable production experience (required for Coordinator position)
- Exhaustive knowledge of local fruit and vegetable varieties
- Food handling experience
- A minimum of 6 years driving experience, valid US drivers license, and capable of passing DOT physical; experience driving trucks in urban and rural environments is a plus
- Experience with lift equipment (pallet jacks, forklifts, etc.) is a plus
- Experience in supervising groups and/or managing volunteers and/or teaching (required for Coordinator position)
- Customer service or similar experience
- Experience leading others and motivating them towards a common goal is preferred (required for Coordinator position)
- Detail-oriented with excellent record keeping and planning skills
- Bachelor’s degree (preferred for Coordinator position; not required for Assistant position)
- All candidates must be able to repeatedly lift 70+ pounds in various conditions. This position is physically demanding and requires an aptitude for manual labor.
- Reliable transportation to Waltham office location
- Ability to work weekend days on a regular basis. Gleaning Coordinator proposed schedule is Sunday-Wednesday; Gleaning Assistant proposed schedule is Friday-Monday.
- Ability to fully commit to a seasonal job (both positions begin in early July and end in January)
Full time is preferred, but part time work may be available for the right candidate; full time work will include some work weeks with over 50+ hours in our busy season (August-November). Any hours worked over 40 within 1 workweek qualify for overtime pay.
- 4 paid holidays
- Issued company cell phone for all work related tasks
- Work clothing/gear stipend: $150.00 reimbursement
- Access to surplus produce: up to ½ bushel per week
- Professional development opportunities including several trainings and certifications
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline