Executive Chef Brigaid
- Date Posted June 28, 2018
- Location New London, CT
- Category Culinary
- Job Type Full-Time
Led by Dan Giusti, the former Head Chef of Noma in Copenhagen, Brigaid is a group of chefs rethinking what it means to feed people. We recruit professionally trained chefs to lead school kitchens full-time with the goal of cooking delicious food from scratch. These meals simultaneously meet the strict budgetary and nutritional guidelines set by the National School Lunch Program and our own quality standards.
Brigaid’s model is fueled by the belief that students deserve real, wholesome food, cooked with care and passion by chefs whose dedication is all encompassing. But the chef’s role goes beyond simply preparing school meals. Brigaid chefs are motivated to develop meaningful relationships with teachers, administrators, and the community to change the way people think about food and the act of eating.Job Description
Brigaid: Led by Dan Giusti, the former head chef of Noma in Copenhagen, Brigaid is a group of chefs rethinking what it means to feed people. We recruit professionally trained chefs to lead school kitchens full-time with the goal of cooking delicious food from scratch. These meals simultaneously meet the strict budgetary and nutritional guidelines set by the National School Lunch Program and our own quality standards.
Position Summary: Brigaid is looking for Executive Chefs to join our growing team in New London, CT as well as NYC. We need determined applicants who want their work to make a difference. We are looking for skilled chefs with extensive management experience to be part of our effort to transform how children eat in this country.
The Executive Chefs are responsible for leading a scratch-cooking program in their schools by providing overall direction, leadership, and control over menu preparation within a school kitchen. The selected candidates will manage a kitchen staff, implement Brigaid menus, and engage with and gather feedback from students and the school staff. The Chef will maintain food safety and sanitation standards and oversee the timely preparation and production of menus while maintaining the highest possible quality.
- Supervises, trains, schedules, and mentors a large kitchen team to implement scratch-cooking menus while maintaining a predetermined labor cost budget; conducts reviews and prepares appropriate reports which document work performance.
- Effectively implements scratch cooking in their individual school.
- Participates in setting, modifying, and implementing quality assurance policies/procedures, and maintaining standards.
- Maintains a predetermined food cost budget through accurate ordering, proper meal execution, and appropriate production forecasting.
- Engages the school community through events and education.
- Participates in catering events for their school district as well as for Brigaid.
- Serves as a force of positive change within the Food Service Department.
- Supports the potential expansion of scratch-cooking practices to additional kitchens in the future.
- 3 years experience in a kitchen.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Strong understanding of kitchen finances.
- Ability to motivate and inspire.
- A relentless work ethic.
- Experience working in high volume kitchens.
- Desire to be an agent of change.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Management experience in professional kitchens.
- Certified by ServeSafe or equivalent
- Proficiency with Microsoft and Google Suites.
New London: $62,424 + health coverage
NYC: $63,837 + health coverage
New London, Connecticut
Full-TimeCompensation this position is PAID: salaried, 50k to 100k How to apply