Certification Manager Certified Naturally Grown
- Date Posted August 17, 2018
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Agriculture / Nonprofit
- Job type Full-Time
More than 800 farmers and beekeepers throughout North America participate. CNG producers typically sell at farmers markets, via CSAs, and through the more advanced independent grocers that seek to support their local food systems.
CNG's participatory approach to certification is recognized by IFOAM - Organics International as an effective way to include small-scale producers in the organic movement. CNG is a private non-profit organization that is not affiliated with the USDA Organic Program. Job description We seek an enthusiastic and detail-oriented individual to support the administration of our programs and serve as an important liaison to the farmers and beekeepers who participate in our grassroots initiatives.
This is a full time position (35 - 40 hours per week). Work is to be done in our Brooklyn office, primarily during regular business hours, though there is flexibility with scheduling. This position offers ample opportunities for development and growth, and may evolve into new areas based on the staffer's interest and skills and the needs of the organization. Paid vacation is provided based on length of employment and the number of hours worked per week.
This position would be a combination of two part time positions that CNG currently has listed: Certification Specialist, and Certification Coordinator. Candidates may apply for either or both part time positions in addition to this full-time position if they have the flexibility to work full time or part time. Candidates interested in being considered for more than one position should indicate this clearly in their cover letter. CNG will EITHER hire one full time Certification Manager, OR two part-time staff.
Position Responsibilities Include:
- Review applications for CNG certification (training will be provided)
- Respond to producers' inquiries about certification standards and allowed/prohibited substances (training will be provided)
- Respond to inquiries from farmers and beekeepers interested in certification
- Welcome new members by phone, and help ensure they understand the core certification requirements
- Provide timely and regular reminders to all members when inspections are due, and offer assistance with arranging inspections.
- Maintain up-to-date certification records for each member
- Assemble and ship farmers' orders for educational and marketing materials
- Process incoming correspondence, certification documents, and membership dues
- Provide general office support
- Other job-related duties as necessary
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Basic knowledge of organic vegetable farming practices
- Self-starter and also a team player, responsive to feedback
- Strong customer service skills and interest in helping farmers
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work comfortably in an office environment
- Ability to give consistent careful attention to details, and to be organized
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Familiarity and proficiency with office equipment and software
Desirable Skills and Qualities
- Experience working on a farm
- Knowledge of livestock production, beekeeping, aquaponics and mushroom cultivation
- Ability to write in a manner that is compelling, grammatical, clear and concise
- Experience with strategic communications
- Experience offering educational programs to farmers or others
- Demonstrated commitment to a grassroots initiative
- Experience managing or working on a farm, keeping bees, or cultivating mushrooms
- Inclination to suggest new and improved processes or approaches to our work
Candidates who are positive, driven, and creative problem solvers will find rewarding opportunities to grow into new responsibilities and to have a positive impact on our work and the farmers who participate in our programs. Compensation this position is : hourly, $15/hr + Application instructions