Head Cheesemonger & Retail Buyer Campbell Cheese & Grocery +2 more
- Date Posted October 12, 2018
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Culinary
- Job Type Full-Time
At Campbell & Co, we believe in the power of good food and in sharing it with others. Our focus is on locally-sourced and well-made goods—items that celebrate our community of NYC producers and upstate NY farmers. We love to share the stories of our makers, from the rooftop farmers growing heirloom tomatoes that overlook the Manhattan skyline to the cheesemakers aging provolone below the streets of Brooklyn. Our cheese case features more than 100 carefully-curated domestic and imported cheeses. Our beer and cider selection is just as large and unique – we love sour beers and we hope you do too! The Campbell & Co. kitchen and catering program utilizes the best ingredients from the season to create sandwiches, salads, breakfast biscuits, cheese boards, desserts, and more. Over the years we’ve worked hard to earn a devoted following and are known as much for our warm and friendly customer service as our products (our breakfast biscuits are legendary!).
Campbell & Co. started out five years ago as Campbell Cheese & Grocery, a family-run neighborhood specialty store in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. We are in the process of expanding into more of a café & catering company model – an exciting time for our business. We are looking for a GM to help us as we move into this next phase. It’s a great opportunity for the right person as you will help grow the business and work directly alongside the owners. We pride ourselves on having a thoughtful, respectful team and do our best to maintain a supportive, low-stress work environment.Job Description
We are now hiring a Head Cheesemonger & Retail Buyer. We are looking for someone with a true passion for food who can share their love of cheese, charcuterie, and quality goods with our customers and staff every day. The ideal candidate has strong cheese knowledge and an eye for the fine details. Overall, the Head Cheesemonger & Retail Buyer is responsible for managing our retail inventory, training staff on product knowledge for current and new items and contributing to a positive, engaging and profitable environment.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Handle weekly orders for cheese, charcuterie, and retail items.
- Maintain abundant and immaculate cheese and charcuterie cases as well as all FOH retail shelving, and generally keep the shop looking attractive and inviting.
- Uphold incredible customer service alongside our staff—service that’s friendly, down-to-earth, accommodating, and aims to cultivate regulars.
- Oversee and execute all front-of-house catering (cheese and charcuterie boards, etc.).
- Orchestrate ongoing education for our staff on cheeses, charcuterie, and related products, helping our team continuously learning and growing.
- Maintain a high standard of cleanliness, sanitation, and organization throughout the shop, ensuring that all DOA and DOH requirements are being met.
- Work with our retail team to monitor waste and other inefficiencies—and think outside of the box to find solutions.
- Work to expand our cheese program with new opportunities—from teaching cheese classes to collaborating with local bars/restaurants to producing pop-ups.
- Work with owners to analyze financials and make adjustments accordingly.
- 1+ years of cheesemonger experience.
- A friendly and kind approach.
- A passion for excellent food.
- Extensive knowledge and ever-expanding curiosity about cheese, charcuterie, and specialty products.
- Very organized with exceptional attention to detail and ability to multi-task.
- Great communication skills.
- A flexible schedule (mix of mornings, nights, and weekends).
- A team player with a willingness to jump in and help with all tasks.
- A quick-thinking problem solver.
- Experience with and love of beer & cider is a plus.
- Experience with and love of local produce is a plus.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline