Calypso's Farmer Training Program Calypso Farm & Ecology Center
- Date Posted October 31, 2018
- Location Fairbanks, AK
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Educational program
Program Dates: May 4th - September 29th, 2019
Start a Farm. Run a Homestead. Build Community.
Get the skills and hands-on experience you need to make it happen at Calypso Farm and Ecology Center, a diversified 3-acre educational farm, producing vegetables, herbs and cut flowers in the heart of Interior Alaska. Calypso’s 5 month, residential Farmer Training Program immerses participants in all aspects of farming: production, creativity and business planning.
- Gain the farm production skills necessary for farming success: building healthy soil, greenhouse growing, irrigation, composting, animal husbandry, field planning, cultivation, harvest, CSA operations, farm infrastructure, farm equipment use, and using your working body safely.
- Weekly Whole Farm Planning sessions lead you through the process of building a comprehensive business plan for a future farm, from choosing land and areas of production to marketing and creating a budget.
- Build creativity and homesteading skills through exposure to green wood carving, birch bark, food preservation, blacksmithing, wool processing, construction, printmaking, and more.
- Have your own special interests? Calypso’s staff will work with you to gear the program to your specific learning goals. Participants will have the opportunity to be involved in Calypso’s farm-based education programs, explore value-added product production, and work with Calypso’s food justice initiatives.
Program Cost: The total cost of the program is $4,250. This cost includes $750/month for room/board/instruction and $500 materials fee. More cost details can be found in the Program Description file above.
College credit for this program is available through the University of Alaska, Fairbanks.