Operations Manager King David Tacos
- Date Posted November 08, 2018
- Location Brooklyn, NY
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job Type Full-Time
King David Tacos is a woman-owned and Brooklyn-founded business, established in June 2016. We bring one of the best exports from Austin, TX to the daily lives of New Yorkers: breakfast tacos.
New York City (arguably the world’s center of food culture and influence) has been devoid of real breakfast tacos (arguably the perfect breakfast food) for too long. But beyond being Tex-Mex-obsessed, it’s our belief that NYC is in need of better breakfast options in general. Busy New Yorkers are often stuck having to select an on-the-go breakfast that is either staid and expected or empty of nutrients.
KDT’s breakfast tacos are simple and delicious, are created for everyday enjoyment, and are tailored to the fast-paced lifestyle of discerning New Yorkers. Our grab ‘n’ go tacos are easily portable, self-contained, and satisfy a variety of dietary preferences across occasions.
King David Tacos makes New York’s best breakfast tacos. We are the first to bring Austin’s grab’n’go style of tacos to NYC with carts in Manhattan and Brooklyn, as well as a thriving catering operation. We have been in operation for two-plus years and quickly established ourselves in NYC’s highly competitive food scene as a leader in culinary and retail innovation.
We need a dedicated, reliable, and energetic full-time Operations Manager who is excited about the potential to grow with and shape a company. This role will work hand-in-hand with our Founder / CEO.
We operate out of our central kitchen in Downtown Brooklyn. Our offices are located in the same facility. Our Kitchen team cooks everything fresh each morning, packaging it for distribution. While our retail presence is currently only the carts, catering, and events, expansion into different sales channels is on the horizon.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for managing and overseeing KDT operations from top to bottom, across business functions. This role is for a person who is an excellent problem-solver with outstanding communication skills, comfortable wearing many hats and responding as a leader to the dynamic nature of a food business in NYC.
As our business runs 7 days a week, your schedule will rotate between M-F and mixed weekday/weekend coverage. Off-hours coverage will be required in necessary circumstances. As a breakfast business, the day starts early, but on-the-ground operations conclude by early afternoon.
All responsibilities are shared between this role and the CEO, whom this role both reports to and works in partnership with.
This is an excellent role for someone who is passionate about the food business and loves both the art and the logistics required to make it all happen. You will learn what it takes to build a business from the ground up, and have exposure to business growth and challenges in a way that is difficult to attain in such an expedited fashion at a corporate operation.
- ON-THE-GROUND OPERATIONS
- Oversee cart and catering delivery operations each day on duty, ensuring everything is running smoothly and on time
- Visit all sites of operation regularly
- Deliver catering orders when needed
- Work with the Kitchen Manager to ensure operations in Kitchen are seamless with Retail / Wholesale and facilitate necessary communication between the groups
- Regularly communicate with customers and staff about KDT products and services
- Communicate with vendors, purveyors, and partners about KDT products, inventory and operations
- CATERING OPERATIONS
- When on-duty, respond and fulfill orders via phone and email
- Map out and plan deliveries for the following day with our catering software
- Communicate regarding catering orders with the Kitchen
- Lead the KDT team as an example of work ethic and brand standards
- Plan and distribute the staff schedule for all areas of the business
- Assist the CEO with directing and supervising all KDT personnel
- Assist in recruiting, training and retaining new staff
- Respond to staff issues, whether regarding career growth or discipline
- Problem-solve on the spot with day-to-day staff challenges
- Enforce and optimize existing processes
- Establish and optimize new processes where necessary
- Update process documents, and communicate / ensure implementation of process updates across full organization
- EVENT MANAGEMENT
- Lead planning for events and partnerships (size ranges from small breakfast sponsorships to stadium food conventions)
- Provide on-site management at events
- BEHIND THE SCENES
- Proactively address business needs, both internally and externally
- Prepare for and communicate with management and staff regarding upcoming milestones, events, changes in the business
- Work with billing and financial software to ensure operationally-relevant Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable are kept in good standing
- All other relevant administrative duties
- Previous supervisory and/or management experience in a food operation
- A team-focused attitude, and the ability to lead by example and build trust with those who work with you
- Guest-oriented and service-minded
- Ability to spot and resolve problems efficiently and effectively
- Knowledge of and experience with food-related health and safety regulations
- Willing to obtain Mobile Food Vendor’s License and Food Handler’s License within the first month of hire
- As Operations Manager, this role must be able to act as / assist the cart attendant
- To do so you must obtain your Mobile Food Vendor’s License: KDT will pay you for the time you spend obtaining the license, and will reimburse you for the license fees after 6 months of employment
- Valid Driver License and confident driving in NYC
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs (MS Office, Google documents, POS, scheduling and payroll softwares)
- Pay will be dependent on experience. We compensate well for reliability and dedication.
- This position will begin as hourly + overtime
- After a 3 month probationary period, this position will convert to a salaried position
- Paid vacation after 1 year of employment