Farm Market Operations Lead 21Acres Center for Local Food
- Date Posted November 27, 2018
- Location Woodinville, WA
- Category Business / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
THE 21Acres Center and certified organic farm is located in the Sammamish Valley near Woodinville Washington. We are a non-profit agricultural and environmental campus and a living laboratory for green and sustainable building design. Our educational center provides our community with a whole systems approach to solving issues around food availability, small-scale food economies, environmental preservation and sustainability. We have education, membership and volunteer opportunities, culinary classes, informational lectures, year-round Farm Market offering the very best seasonal, Organic, and GMO-free produce from local farmers and producers, and more.
Who Are We?
21 Acres is a nonprofit organization located in Woodinville, Washington with a mission to inspire action to solve climate challenges by learning as a community to grow, eat and live sustainably. The Farm Market advances this mission through a year-round supply of locally grown produce, dairy, grains, preserved foods and education regarding how best to participate in a sustainable food system.
Visit Us Online: www.21acres.orJob Description
What is the Opportunity?
Do you enjoy food, farms and education, and desire to help create a friendly environment centered on all three? You have found your job. 21 Acres Farm Market is looking for a dynamic and passionate person to help lead their sales team. This full-time job (37-40 hours per week over 4 or 5 days) requires an outgoing personality with the ability to advocate on behalf of a sustainable local food system and the 21 Acres mission. You will share responsibility of supervising the Farm Market Team while creating an atmosphere of learning, empowerment and superb customer service. You must be able to work a flexible schedule, including Saturdays, be on your feet all day, lift and carry boxes of produce and have strong communication skills. An eye for detail and the ability to design a great looking presentation of fresh produce is required. Please note instructions on how to apply correctly!
What Amazing Things Would I do Each Day at 21 Acres?
Marketing and Communications
- Act in accordance with the 21 Acres mission statement; promote and adhere to organization values at all times.
- Build your own knowledge and excitement about sustainable food in order to provide excellent customer service and educate on products and sustainability.
- Provide 21 Acres education and building information, be a resource, and effectively communicate sustainable living and mission information to our guests.
How We Roll In The Farm Market
- Work with Farm & Market Manager to set overall goals and take initiative on projects to achieve these goals.
- Wok with the Farm & Market Manager to ensure efficient and smooth operation including inventory tracking, waste mitigation, staff support and training, and all other leader-on-duty responsibilities.
- Be knowledgeable and capable to communicate local and seasonal farming practices and produce availability. Research produce, and gather information about products. Provide tips on cooking and preparing produce sold in the market.
- Lead the Market Team to set up for opening, maintain daily standards and close the market in a tidy and aesthetically pleasing manner. Demonstrate continuous effort and use of independent judgment to improve operations, streamline work processes, etc.
- Properly prioritize tasks, manage, and follow-up with projects in addition to helping the Farm Market Team determine needs for smooth daily Market operations, and how to proactively fulfill those needs.
- Serve customers from the deli counter including communicating ingredients and cooking techniques.
- Operate the point of sale device to charge customers, enter discounts, accept payment, and make change.
- Follow and give directions with excellent attention to detail and prepare written reports or summaries as necessary.
- Be watchful of any safety concerns and proactively communicate to appropriate person. Maintain a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules and regulations.
- Communicate and interact professionally and appropriately with co-workers, the public (youth and adults), and customers. Work collaboratively with interns and/or any Farm Market volunteers.
- Exhibit regular and timely attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
What Are We Looking For?
- A Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent work experience in retail sales environment, customer service environment, sustainable agriculture, or farm markets is required.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead, coach and train others in a retail setting. High level of communication, interpersonal, and diplomacy skills required.
- Knowledge of current organic agricultural research and trends in organic systems.
- Significant experience and successful track record of supervision of staff and volunteers.
- Ability to sometimes work in a hectic environment and be flexible, adaptable and innovative.
- Ability to work on your feet all day including standing on a cement floor.
- Ability to work monthly shifts outdoors with varying and uneven topography and in all weather conditions.
- Superb attention to detail, problem solving skills, creativity, initiative, and ability to prioritize tasks appropriately.
- Knowledge, enthusiasm, and representation of the sustainability lifestyle, regenerative agriculture, conservation of biodiversity, and organization mission.
- Strong communication skills; ability to read, write, type, and communicate in English.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be able to routinely move farm produce and other materials weighing up to 35 lbs. unassisted and 50 lbs. with assistance.
- Flexibility in work schedule is required, including the ability to work extended hours, or alternate shift days as operational needs may require.
- Valid drivers license and clean driving record.
- Must pass background check.
What Can You Expect?
A collaborative work environment with doors thrown open to greet and educate our community! No two days are the same on our campus, and besides the clean, healthy environment and beautiful farm, our great benefits include paid medical, 401k, education reimbursement, as well as an employee discount and produce perks to help keep the 21 Acres team in good health and good humor.
The 21 Acres facility is a LEED Platinum certified building that facilitates a learning environment for sustainable and regenerative living. Tours and general work involve maneuvering over unpaved and uneven grounds, some of which is farmland. The work environment has a moderate to high noise level. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position frequently involves mobility between first and second floors, and the outdoors; reaching, bending, grasping, lifting, pulling, pushing, standing, kneeling, squatting and twisting; ability to lift and carry items up to 50 lbs. If you always need to be cozily warm or living in air conditioning, we may not be the proper environment for you, but if you desire to learn and do the many various parts of your job with no two days the same, this could be the position for you.
Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, $15/hr or more How to apply