Summer Camp Educator Hart-to-Hart Farm & Education Center
- Date Posted November 27, 2018
- Location Albion, ME
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job type Summer Job
We are a family owned and operated organic dairy farm located in the gently rolling hills of Albion, Maine. Our Farm offers a variety of educational programs and quality produces. We milk between 50-60 Holsteins and Jerseys. You can find our milk under the Organic Valley Family Farm label, which we are proud owner-members or in Stonyfield Farm products.
Our mission: To foster awareness of farm stewardship, growing healthy foods and the importance of sustainable, local agriculture, through education and experience.
Our vision: We believe hands-on education can plant future seeds that will help all people become better stewards of the Earth
We welcome you to come and learn more about our farm, products and educational programs.Job description
Description: Hart-to-Hart Farm Day Camp is seeking qualified individuals to design & teach sustainable agriculture & environmental lessons utilizing our gardens, farm, fields, forest and ponds. Counselors works with campers’ ages 5 – 16 in an organic farm setting. Campers participate in farm chores, gardening, cooking as well as a wide range of environmental and agricultural activities. Highlight: each camper adopting special farm animal. Goal: have fun while making a difference in the lives of young people through inquiry based learning.
Site Description: Located on a 285-acre organic dairy. Site includes historic barn, out buildings for chickens, goats, sheep, horses, rabbits and a free stall barn which is home to 130 dairy cows. Scenic pastures, organic gardens and orchard, ponds, wetlands, forest, and farm provide an idea camp setting to explore.
- Responsible for all aspects of camp life: classroom preparation, participating in morning circle; running animal, craft, and gardening activities; overseeing snack and lunch time. Day starts at 7:00 am and ends around 5:00 pm or when prep work finished for the next day. One overnight outing with campers attending Farm Extravaganza and Farm Explorer.
- Plan and co-lead daily “hands-on”, inquiry based programs. Topics include but not limited to animal care and feeding, gardening, sustainability, cheese making, insects, birds, soil science, freshwater ecology, wetland ecology, forest ecology, art, cooking. Topics taught through exploration, games, art, songs and stories.
- Attend staff trainings and meetings.
- Participate in 1 family program & school field trips
- Communicating behavior or medical issues to the Camp Director.
- Educators supported by Camp Director and Counselors-in-Training
- Educators will report to director.
- Creative, enthusiastic, team player, flexible, excellent communication skills, a good sense of humor, self-motivated and strong work ethic.
- A willingness to get dirty, hike, work with farm animals and dig in the garden
- Knowledge in sustainable farming / gardening and/or environment education (strengths can be in one or the other – animal husbandry a bonus)
- Previous camp or related experience working with youth ages 5-16 in an outdoor setting
- First Aid and CPR certification
- Completed 1st year of college or alternative program / experience
Start Date: June 2 – August 18th (11 weeks, includes 2 wk mandatory staff training)
Compensation: Includes room & board (additional compensation based on education and experience) Can be used as an internship. Contact FMICompensation this position is : stipend / non-monetary compensation Application instructions