Farm Crew Maitri Farm
- Date Posted December 03, 2018
- Location Amenia, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
Maitri Farm is a diversified farm on 100 acres in Amenia, NY established in 2015. We grow certified organic vegetables on 5 acres, cut flowers on ½ acre, and raise pastured livestock on the rest using rigorous rotational grazing practices. We sell at 2 farmer’s markets and to wholesale channels locally. We are a production-focused farm with strong intentions to grow and raise the finest quality goods while adhering to highest ecological and humane practices.Job Description
Maitri is looking for candidates with production farm experience who are interested in working with an experienced farm manager during a period of raising sales and streamlining on-farm processes.
The ideal candidates possess common sense, a sense of humor, are punctual, appreciate practical efficiency, and know how to have fun while focusing on completing the task at hand. We are looking for mature individuals who are eager and enthusiastic about improving their skills, and are open to constructive feedback. We are willing to train the right candidate. Attention to detail and tidiness is important in maintaining a pleasant, smoothly operating working environment.
We are hiring 2 seasonal crew members for the 2019 season, beginning in April and ending in late October/early November. Hours will start at 40/wk and max out at 55/wk at the season’s height. Year-round employment opportunities may be available for qualified candidates.
Crew Member 1: Vegetable Crew
The vegetable crew member will participate in many aspects of growing and selling vegetables. This includes and is not limited to:
- Greenhouse work: propagation, care of the greenhouse seedlings and environment
- Field work: hand weeding, hand cultivation, transplanting, and irrigation
- Harvesting a wide variety of crops
- Washings and packing of vegetables for farmer’s market and wholesale orders adhering to market quality standards
- Farmer’s market: working our Saturday or Sunday market stand in Westchester County, NY
- Rotating weekend chores: working 1 weekend a month, rotated with coworkers, to care for greenhouse and livestock
Crew Member 2: Vegetable Crew and Flower Harvest Crew
The vegetable and flower crew member position is an opportunity to learn about flower production as part of a whole farm system by splitting their time between flower and vegetable crops.
By hours, the position will focus mainly on vegetable production, especially in the beginning and end of the season. In addition to possible duties listed above for the Vegetable Crew member, this individual will work up to 15/hrs week with the flower manager. This position assists mostly with the harvest, post-harvest, and processing of assorted flower crops for mixed market bouquets. It will also involve making weekly market bouquets in assembly-line fashion.
The position can also consist of any flower-related task from greenhouse seedling care, hand cultivation, transplanting, trellising, hooping, deadheading, mulching, and netting flowers.
This position will require an ability to navigate uneven terrain in fields while carrying flower buckets, as well as standing for multiple hours, repeatedly bending, and operating hand pruners in repetition.
Prior flower experience is not necessary, but is a major plus.
- $11-$16/hr, depending on experience and housing need
- Paid vacation time
- Accrued paid sick days
- At least one year experience on a production farm
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record
- Able to safely lift 50 pounds
- Willing to work in adverse conditions
- Willing to work long hours and adapt to schedule changes as needed
- Commitment to full season, April through mid November
Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, varies DOE, $11.00 - $16.00 How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline