- Step 1:Tell us about your company
- Step 2:Tell us about your position
- Step 3:How to apply
Field Crew Common Ground CSA
- Date Posted December 17, 2018
- Location Olympia, WA
- Category Agriculture
- Job type Full-Time
Common Ground CSA is a woman owned and operated CSA farm serving Olympia, WA and growing just south of Olympia in Maytown, WA. We provide weekly CSA shares to about 100 families in our community for 25+ weeks of the year, offering those shares on a sliding scale in order to make good food accessible to more people. We grow intensively on just about 2 acres which includes a second site in Rochester, 15 minutes away from the main fields. Much of our cultivation and field management is by hand, with a strong emphasis on field sanitation in order to manage diseases and pests. We do have a rototiller and a small tractor with a rotovator for field prep. We grow organically but are not currently certified.
Common Ground has been providing CSA shares for 25 years and we have many customers who have been with us for all or most of that time. In 2018 we moved away from our historic main site on the west side of Olympia and are now based at our field in Maytown. Working and farming on a team is one thing that drives us, and we are always on the lookout for employees who have interest in the possibility of continuing to farm with us and stepping up into co-management and even co-ownership roles.Job description
We are looking for one more crew member to join our team of three other women, most likely beginning in April or May and working through September with the possibility of hours continuing into the fall. Several years of farming experience, especially vegetable production is desired. This job involves being a part of all aspects of small scale vegetable production - seed starting, field prep, planting, cultivating, irrigation, compost, harvest and distribution.
Our ideal candidate has:
- Some farm experience for field crew, preferably in vegetable production.
- Experience with rototiller, tractor, small machinery.
- Knowledge of vegetable pests and diseases.
- Ability to do heavy work.
- Joyful attitude towards physical work.
- Enjoys working with others.
- Own transportation to occasionally commute between fields
- Interest in the possibility of multiple seasons, co-management, co-ownership