Sheep Dairy Intern Blue Pepper Farm
- Date Posted December 24, 2018
- Location Jay, NY
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Internship/Apprentice
Blue Pepper Farm is a small sheep dairy milking 42 ewes in 2019. 80-100 lambs will be born early April, we'll be grazing by mid-May. Ideal internship start time is early April to early May. We also raise approximately 125 laying hens, 20 pigs, and 2-4 cows. We practice rotational grazing and though we are not certified organic, we do feed certified organic grain as needed.
Our flock of sheep is the core of our farm. We sell fresh and frozen sheep milk to cheesemakers and craft our own yogurt using an off-site rented creamery space. We also sell lamb, wool products, and tanned sheepskins. Our sheep are certified by Animal Welfare Approved.
We also have a busy AirBNB business on the side renting our farmhouse in the summer months, and our yurt in the off-season. We live in the yurt during the summer and we also have an off-grid tiny house which will serve as intern housing.
The tiny house (260 ft2) is set back in the woods, with its own composting privy. Water can be brought back from a hydrant at the barn. An outdoor shower and full kitchen is available at the yurt. We will provide all your food and we're hoping to find an intern who would be happy to share in some of the food preparation. Job Description
1. Daily chores for sheep, chickens, cows, and pigs.
2. Milking the sheep several times per week (5am and 4pm).
3. Washing and packing eggs.
4. Farmers market and product deliveries on Saturdays.
5. Assist with yogurt makes and packaging on Fridays/Sundays.
6. Miscellaneous jobs such as stacking hay, mucking the barn, equipment repairs, unloading grain deliveries, weed whacking/mowing fencelines and grounds