Farm Camp Counselor Wolfe's Neck Center
- Date Posted January 04, 2019
- Location Freeport, ME
- Category Agriculture / Education
- Job Type Summer Job
Farm Camp is a summer day camp program for children ages 4-15. Campers engage in hands-on learning about sustainable agriculture and the environment while taking care of livestock, tending our gardens, and exploring nearby ecosystems. Each year, we host hundreds of campers from the local community and out of state.
The Farm Camp season runs from June 10 - August 23, 2019. This includes one week of staff training (June 10 - 14) and ten weeks of camp (June 17 - August 23). As this is a day camp program, each week runs Monday through Friday.
Role & Responsibilities
Farm Camp Counselors are the heart of our summer day camp. They lead groups of youth through days full of farm-based fun and discovery. Each Farm Camp Counselor takes primary responsibility for one of the following age groups:
- Peapods (ages 4-6) – Peapods are introduced to farming and the natural world through structured and well-supervised activities. Campers are encouraged to try new things as they meet our livestock, taste veggies in the garden, and activate their imagination through play, songs, and stories.
- Seedlings (ages 7-8) – Seedlings get their hands dirty through daily farm chores such as collecting eggs, feeding the chickens, and tending our organic garden. Campers also explore the vibrant ecosystems surrounding the farm, including the forest, salt marsh, and Casco Bay coast.
- Farm Kids (ages 9-10) – Farm Kids dig deeper with daily farm chores such as turning the compost, picking potato bugs, and caring for livestock. As they venture to the farther reaches of the farm, campers discover more about our fruit and vegetable production and organic dairy practices.
We’re looking for folks who have experience working with youth and are excited to explore farming and food with them. Ideal candidates can adapt on the fly while keeping a keen eye on safety (for kiddos,coworkers,and livestock). While our Farm Camp Counselors are independent and creative,they’re also part of a collaborative team, so we seek staff who can take initiative, communicate effectively, and are eager to help out as needed. Families are often interested in what their children have been up to at Farm Camp, so we seek candidates who can proactively, courteously, and professionally communicate with campers’ parents and guardians. We’re also interested in the following:
- Experience working with children or youth, especially outdoors
- Experience with and/or knowledge of sustainable agriculture, farming, gardening, livestock, or culinary arts
- Experience leading any of the following activities: arts & crafts, music, theater, nature exploration, or science
- Ability to create, plan, and lead summer camp activities that are age-appropriate, engaging, and fun
- Ability to manage risk and exercise judgment on a working farm
- Ability to work outside in a variety of environments and weather (including heat, humidity, and rain)
- Current First Aid & CPR certification required (or willingness to obtain before start date)
This is a full-time, seasonal summer position. Typical working hours are Monday through Friday, from 8am – 4:30pm, though occasional evening hours may be required. Documentation establishing your right to work in the United States is required along with the completion of a successful background check.
Biweekly stipend; potential for on-site housing; free rentals for bikes, kayaks, and canoes; discounted oceanfront camping (based on availability); 25% discount on farm products (including meat, eggs, and seasonal produce); 25% discount in the Farm Café and Farm Store. Compensation this position is PAID: stipend How to apply