Nutrition Program Coordinator SEE-LA
- Date Posted January 05, 2019
- Location Los Angeles, CA
- Category Education / Nonprofit
- Job Type Full-Time
Sustainable Economic Enterprises (SEE-LA) is a 501c3 nonprofit corporation whose mission and purpose is to build sustainable food systems and promote social and cultural activities that benefit both low to moderate income residents of Los Angeles while also supporting California small and mid-size farms through the management and ownership of Certified Farmers’ Markets.Job Description
Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is currently seeking a dedicated, professional and dynamic individual to join its leadership team for its Pompea Smith Good Cooking/Buena Cocina Nutrition Education program servicing South Los Angeles. SEE-LA has contracted with the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s (LACDPH) Champions for Change-Healthy Communities Initiative (CFC-HCI) to offer nutrition education and develop policy and systematic changes focused on reaching a target population of low-income individuals and families within the project service area (South Los Angeles). The Nutrition Program Coordinator/ Nutrition Specialist is responsible for coordination of the nutrition program which focuses on delivery of nutrition education to low-income adults and families at SEE-LA farmers’ markets and community sites. Activities include conducting bilingual nutrition education classes, developing appropriate education classes and materials for target audience, supervision, training, and oversight of health educators, implementing yearly work plans, evaluation of work plan goals and objectives, tracking grant deliverable progress, community outreach, and performing evaluations of services. The overall goal of the program is to promote healthy lifestyles for low-income adults and families. This is accomplished by direct teaching and Health Educator training on practical nutrition, food resource management, food safety, and the importance of physical activity. The grant term is through September 2019. Ideal candidates must be committed to the duration of the project. Looking for immediate hire, position open until filled
- Registered Dietitian &/or Masters of Public Health degree with specialization in nutrition and dietetics required, other public health-related degrees considered (i.e. MPP, MPA);
- Bilingual English/Spanish required;
- A minimum 2 years in a leadership role with demonstrated ability successfully managing staff;
- Proficiency in facilitating nutrition education classes and events,particularly utilizing the principles of USDA MyPlate guidelines;
- Experience in conducting community nutrition education programs, such as SNAP-Ed;
- Experience in developing nutrition education curriculum and materials for lay audiences;
- Experience in community organization;
- Experience in research and evaluation methodology; specifically in program evaluation and focus group facilitation;
- Professionalcooking/ food demonstration experience a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal skills - comfortable working with diverse groups of people and engaging families in an interactive class setting;
- Proficient bilingual writing and presenting skills;
- Proficient computer skills (MS Office Suite, Google Drive, Social Media platforms, etc.);
- Capable of working cooperatively and supportively with staff, volunteers, participants, etc.;
- Strong organizational skills, experience creating and maintaining files and data collection documents;
- Ability to organize and prioritize activities to meet programmatic and fiscal work plans;
- Reliable transportation, California Driver’s License and self-insured automobile.
- Become fully versed in and performs full range of duties for the Pompea Smith Good Cooking/Buena Cocina Nutrition Education Program, accomplishing all CFC-HCI project goals, objectives, activities, expected outcomes and Scope of Work;
- Coordinates, organizes and conducts Bilingual nutrition classes and events in SEE-LA’s farmers’ markets and target community institutions;
- Become fully versed in the current Pompea Smith Good Cooking/Buena Cocina Nutrition Education Program curriculum and assists in revisions as required;
- Advises Director of Nutrition Programs on changes and proposed improvements to nutrition education program based on evaluation data and direct program delivery;
- Contributes to and maintains Pompea Smith Good Cooking/Buena Cocina Nutrition Education Program’s social media platforms;
- Continues and enhances SEE-LA’s current policy and environmental change programs which include farmers’ market and corner store healthy retail projects;
- Ensures quality control and compliance with established standards and procedures for assigned programs. Assigns, monitors and reviews progress and accuracy of work;
- Collects and compiles participant attendance records, monthly reports and PEARS system data input, and program evaluation data to measure program delivery and effectiveness;
- Provides summaries of evaluation collection and progress toward goals;
- Adheres to budgets and manages programmatic purchases and inventory;
- Represents SEE-LA’s nutrition education programs throughout Los Angeles County in a professional manner;
- Supervises and coordinates a team of Health Educators providing significant input to staff performance and development, team building and communications, resolution of issues and conflicts, review and approval of work, and hiring and training employees;
- Maintains team collaboration through meeting/training attendance and consistent written and verbal communication including, but not limited to, weekly schedule, program objectives, and team projects;
- Under the direction of the Director of Nutrition Programs, assists with recruitment, hiring, and training of Health Educators;
- Leads outreach and recruiting efforts through contacts with community organizations in the service area and developing community partnerships;
- Assists in all other areas to complete the scope of work of the program;
- May perform related duties as assigned by management.
Ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Ability to bend, lift, push, pull, twist, squat, and kneel frequently.
Ability to haul and lift up to 25 pounds.
Other physical movement as needed.
SEE-LA is an Equal Opportunity EmployerCompensation this position is PAID: salaried, 50k to 100k How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline