Barista Haven's Kitchen
- Date Posted January 08, 2019
- Location New York, NY
- Category Business / Culinary
- Job Type Part-Time
Haven’s Kitchen, a recreational cooking school located in Chelsea is a specialty food shop, and event space. Haven’s Kitchen aims to demonstrate that eating sustainably is synonymous with eating well. Our philosophy is that personal wellness and the well-being of our planet are intricately and permanently connected. It is our hope to nurture that connection and help people rediscover that eating and agriculture are inseparable. Our retail shop will offer a carefully curated assortment of new and vintage, edible, and decorative items. From fair trade coffee and spices to linens and home accessories, Haven’s Kitchen features a selection of local and sustainable products that represent craftsmanship, artisanship, and timelessness. Job Description
Haven’s Kitchen is hiring baristas to support our retail business unit. Ideal candidates will be passionate about a great cup of espresso, offer a willingness to learn about sustainable coffee production and responsible food purveyors. Our baristas will hold themselves to the standard we hold to our purveyors – delivering the best quality coffees, teas, beverages, and food items, to our guests every time they visit our café counter. Baristas with all aspects of making the café selection and checkout process quick, efficient, and pleasant for our guests.
General Duties & Responsibilities:
- Operate all aspects of Haven’s Kitchen on a daily basis with efficiency, respect, friendliness, professionalism, teamwork, knowledge, patience, awareness, compassion and courtesy.
- Ensure that all guest feel welcome and are given friendly, responsive, efficient and courteous service at all times. Provide product information to guests and answer any questions with enthusiasm.
- Anticipate guests and store needs by constantly evaluating the store environment.
- Communicate information to a Manager in a prompt fashion, which will allow all team members to respond as necessary and work together as a team.
- Follows health, safety and sanitation guidelines for all products.
Specific Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for delivering to Haven’s Kitchen coffee, tea and beverage recipes.
- Adhere to all cash handling, cash management and cash register policies set forth by Haven’s Kitchen’s operational policies and procedures.
- Operates equipment necessary to the job, which includes, but is not limited to: Espresso Machine, Coffee Machine, Tea pots, POS system, cash drawers, scanners, scales, copy machines, etc.
- Perform opening and closing duties as well as side work at the start and end of each shift as assigned.
- Welcome each guest with a friendly, warm attitude and always look to exceed guest’s expectations.
- Always ensure that the presentation of all beverage products look pristine and are well stocked.
- At the end of each sheet, take an inventory of the product we have in the retail store and what products need restocking
- Maintains store/café/facilities cleanliness and stocking standards at all times – which includes but is not limited to: straightening and cleaning retail space, straightening and cleaning register areas, stocking shelves with additional retail products, cleaning facilities, etc.
- Handles customer complaints quickly and courteously, Proactively yet tactfully encourages upsells
- Must have one year of NYC barista café experience and passion for sustainable products
- Applicants should be hard working, self-sufficient, and enthusiastic
- Commitment to excellent customer service, A gregarious personality
- Attention to detail and cleanliness (both personal and in-house)
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and changing environment and the ability to plan and prioritize workload
- Strong Interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Possess basic math skills and have the ability to handle money and operate a point-of-sale system
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 10 hours)
- Be able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 50 pounds