Director of Digital Marketing Salt and Straw +1 more
- Date Posted January 11, 2019
- Location Portland, OR
- Category Culinary / Media
- Job Type Full-Time
In 1996, Kim Malek had a dream of opening her own ice cream shop. She held on to this dream while continuing to work for several Fortune 500 companies where she learned the value of building a business model around compassion, transparency and putting people first. In 2011, she and her cousin Tyler fortuitously realized they were on similar paths and decided to make the dream a reality. Overnight, Tyler moved from Seattle to Portland to join Kim as head ice cream maker. Kim cashed out her 401K and signed a lease for their first shop and started serving scoops out of a custom push cart while waiting for construction to be completed. Kim scooped by day and Tyler scooped by night, showcasing creative regional flavors from locally sourced ingredients. It wasn’t long before they were reviewed by the Wall Street Journal, expanded to national distribution, and were featured as one of Oprah’s Favorite Things.
Today, Salt and Straw has 18 locations across six different cities, including the exciting Disneyland Resort scoop shop that opened in October 2018. They continue to only make small-batch, handmade, ice cream, confections and baked goods at one of two facilities in Portland, OR, or Los Angeles, CA. They only use all-natural dairy and the best local, sustainable and organic ingredients that Oregon has to offer, as well import flavors from small farms and producers around the world. They are proud to incorporate a cast of local chefs, cheese-mongers, chocolatiers, brewers, coffee roasters and more to make ice cream that is unique to each city they inhabit.
Salt & Straw developed their business model around generosity and putting people first. They believe treating people fairly is at the root of all decision making and have a commitment to creating a safe and inclusive environment where individuality and personal philosophies are valued and encouraged.
All new employees attend Salt & Straw University, a quarterly leadership summit and four-day onboarding training, where they learn about the organization’s commitment to legendary hospitality and the importance of finding ways to pleasantly surprise customers and one another. They share a dedication to making unbelievable ice cream and have high levels of caring and compassion. Focused on getting things right not just getting things done fast, Salt & Straw embraces a feedback driven culture and holds each other accountable to equal standards of uncompromising service.Job Description
Salt & Straw is looking for an individual who can bring the happiness and connections of our real-life brand alive online as the Director of Digital Marketing. This role will be responsible for developing, evaluating, and executing marketing plans for all activities with our website (including online shop), social media, email and digital marketing. This person will manage all aspects of digital marketing across channels for a variety of programs and provide analysis and strategies for improving the online performance of each. This position will collaborate closely with Creative, Retail Marketing, Culinary, Operations, and Communications.
Essential Job Functions
- Build digital marketing strategy for the company, including:
- Operational management of website, including online shop performance
- Develop a deep understanding of the brand's identity including product, editorial and marketing initiatives in order to develop digital strategies that meet both financial and brand-building goals
- Manage, optimize and report on KPI's (e.g. sales, customer growth) for all digital marketing programs across all device types
- Support VP Marketing in the oversight of the online marketing budget, make recommendations for reallocation and/or investment based on individual program performance and brand goals
- Conduct measurement and analysis on the effectiveness and efficiency of existing digital programs, applying insights to the evaluation of new opportunities
- Be attuned to the competitive marketplace to ensure best-in-class programs and execution
- Working with Director of Retail Marketing to develop digital marketing plans which support new stores/new markets, focus stores/markets, flavor launches, new products and LTO (limited-time-offerings)
Business Thinker, Customer-centric, Functional & Technical Expertise, Problem-solving, Results Oriented, Tech Savvy, Organization & Planning, Strategic Thinking, Visioning, High Drive/Energy, Effective Communication, Adaptability, Creativity, Risk Taker
- A Bachelor's degree in marketing, business or related field; MBA a plus
- 4+ years’ experience in online marketing, retail marketing, or digital media planning
- Well-versed in crafting written and visual communication for social media channels and measuring results
- A proven track record in managing and optimizing a budget to ROI goals
- Analytical, proactive, problem-solving skills with curiosity
- The ability to see trends and to extract actionable insights from data to drive results
- Experience with a web analytics system, ecommerce platform, website/content management system
- Intermediate to advanced Microsoft Excel skills (v-lookups, pivot tables), and strong communication and presentation skills
Salary: Competitive pay commensurate with experience
Benefits: Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Life Insurance & AD&D Coverage, Short-Term Disability Insurance, Long-Term Disability Insurance, Holidays and Paid Time Off, Employee assistance program (counseling), Maternal & Paternal Leave, and Free ice cream!Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, 50k to 100k How to apply