Organic Vegetable Farm Apprentices Rodgers Greens and Roots Farm +2 more
- Date Posted January 16, 2019
- Location Douglasville, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
We are not your average farm. Ashley Rodgers, the farm’s Owner and Operator, has been farming in Georgia organically for the last decade. Ashley is a mid-30's entrepreneur go-getter that doesn't let anything hold her back. We strive to create a work environment that is team spirited and hardworking. If you want to work with a young team of farmers that grow over 100,000 pounds each year of the best organic vegetables being sold to Metro Atlanta, then come join our team. You can learn more about Ashley and her farming practices/beliefs on the following media: CBS Sunday Morning, Women’s Health Magazine, and Civil Eats.
We sell our produce at 2 Atlanta Farmers Markets (Peachtree Road Farmers Market and Morningside Farmers Market) and to over 25 Metro-Atlanta area restaurants, our own CSA and our largest farm partner: Fresh Harvest of Georgia. The farm’s growing style is medium-scale, mechanized production: tractors, tools and machinery, however, we are not a big AG farm. Sustainable farming practices are the backbone of Rodgers Greens and Roots: compost, cover crop, and crop rotation.
We are a young, liberal-minded farming family and crew as well as an equal opportunity employer without discrimination. Job Description
We are hiring 2 full- time farm apprentices. We are accepting applications until the positions have been filled.
We do not require previous farming experience.
Apprentices will work alongside the manager and assistant farm manager and will focus on assisting in the growth and maintenance of the farm’s crops through greenhouse seeding, transplanting, cultivation, irrigation, pest and disease prevention and application, row covers, trellising, and field clean-up. Harvesting, washing, packing and distribution of vegetables to farmer’s markets, our CSA, and restaurants will also be a large role of these positions.
- Greenhouse seeding and management
- Irrigation installation and running of schedules
- Infrastructure development
- Cultivation and weed control
- Harvesting, washing, packing vegetables
- Farmers market sales, set-up and break down
- CSA set up and breakdown
- Restaurant deliveries into Atlanta
- Tractor work: primarily tillage, bush hogging, and cultivation, will be expected after a significant training period
Apprentice Job Requirements:
- A serious interest in farming as a lifestyle and livelihood
- Hard working
- A mind for efficiency, attention to detail, organization and a sense of urgency
- Open and positive communication skills
- Willingness to take initiative and take on responsibility
- $275/week for 6 months, with potential for a pay increase after
One Bedroom in a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom house. Includes: utilities, washer & dryer, internet, heating, A/C, refrigerator, stove and a neighborhood pool and tennis court. House is a 7 minute drive from the farm.
Mon-Fri schedule. 9 hr days. 45-50 hrs a week.
We strive to stay as efficient as possible. We are a team, if one portion of our crew is delayed on their task, we all stay to assist each other to finish together.
Future Opportunities: This position has room for growth if the first season goes well and is a mutually beneficial relationship, this would include an increase in responsibility and a pay increase. We are ideally looking for farmers to grow with us.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline