Farm Hand- Organic Vegetable Farm Rodgers Greens and Roots Farm +2 more
- Date Posted January 16, 2019
- Location Douglasville, GA
- Category Agriculture
- Job Type Full-Time
Rodgers Greens and Roots is a certified organic farm located 30 minutes southwest of Atlanta in Douglasville, Georgia, on 64 acres of historic farmland along the Chattahoochee River. Currently, 15 acres of flat clay-loam soil are under cultivation using organic practices. Rodgers Greens and Roots was voted Best Local Farm 2018 by Atlanta Magazine.
We are not your average farm. Ashley Rodgers, the farm’s Owner and Operator, has been farming in Georgia organically for the last decade. Ashley is a mid-30's entrepreneur go-getter that doesn't let anything hold her back. We strive to create a work environment that is team spirited and hardworking. If you want to work with a young team of farmers that grow over 100,000 pounds each year of the best organic vegetables being sold to Metro Atlanta, then come join our team. You can learn more about Ashley and her farming practices/beliefs on the following media: CBS Sunday Morning, Women’s Health Magazine, and Civil Eats.
We sell our produce at 2 Atlanta Farmers Markets (Peachtree Road Farmers Market and Morningside Farmers Market) and to over 25 Metro-Atlanta area restaurants, our own CSA and our largest farm partner: Fresh Harvest of Georgia. The farm’s growing style is medium-scale, mechanized production: tractors, tools and machinery, however, we are not a big AG farm. Sustainable farming practices are the backbone of Rodgers Greens and Roots: compost, cover crop, and crop rotation.
We are a young, liberal-minded farming family and crew as well as an equal opportunity employer without discrimination.
We are hiring 2 full-time farm hands for the 2019 season. We will be accepting applications and interviewing until these positions have been filled.
We are seeking someone with 1 year of experience in small to medium scale organic vegetable production. This is a full-time permanent year-round position and can be an excellent opportunity for someone looking to stay on a farm for more than one season.
The Full-time farm hands and apprentices will work alongside the manager and assistant farm manager. Harvesting, washing, packing and distribution of vegetables to farmer’s markets, our CSA, and restaurants is 60% of the duties. The farm hand will also focus on assisting in the growth and maintenance of the farm’s crops through greenhouse seeding, transplanting, cultivation, irrigation, pest and disease prevention and application, row covers, trellising, and field clean-up.
We are serious about what we do. We work hard, love what we do, and have fun doing it while maintaining efficiency growing a massive amount of vegetables.
- Greenhouse seeding and management
- Irrigation installation and running of schedules
- Infrastructure development
- Cultivation and weed control
- Harvesting, washing, packing vegetables
- Farmers market sales, set-up and break down
- CSA set up and breakdown
- Restaurant deliveries into Atlanta
- Tractor work: primarily tillage, bush hogging, and cultivation, will be expected after a significant training period
Farm Hand Job Requirements:
- 1 year of full-time previous farming experience in organic vegetable production
- A serious interest in farming as a lifestyle and livelihood
- A mind for efficiency, attention to detail, organization and a sense of urgency
- Open and positive communication skills
- Willingness to take initiative and take on responsibility
- Proficient in: harvesting all types of vegetables, washing and bunching, weeding, installing drip tape and other forms of irrigation, transplanting and greenhouse seeding.
- Farmers market sales experience-setting up and breaking down
$350/week for 6 months, with potential for a pay increase after
Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday schedule. 9 hr days. 45-50 hrs a week.
We strive to stay as efficient as possible. We are a team, if one portion of our crew is delayed on their task, we all stay to assist each other to finish together.
One Bedroom in a 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom house. Includes: utilities, washer & dryer, internet, heating, A/C, refrigerator, stove, a neighborhood pool and tennis court. House is a 7 minute drive from the farm.
Future Opportunities: This position has room for growth if the first season goes well and is a mutually beneficial relationship, this would include an increase in responsibility and a pay increase. We are ideally looking for farmers to grow with us.Compensation this position is PAID: salaried, less than 50k How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline