Asst. Cooks & Kitchen Staff Pocono Environmental Education Center
- Date Posted February 07, 2019
- Location Dingmans Ferry, PA
- Category Culinary / Nonprofit
- Job Type Other
The Pocono Environmental Education Center (PEEC) is located within the 77,000 acre Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, along the Delaware River, and is within driving distance of New York City & Philadelphia.
PEEC advances environmental education, sustainable living, and appreciation for nature through hands-on experience in a national park. We are an independent 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and a 44 year education partner of the National Park Service.
PEEC Dining Hall is now hiring! We are looking for Seasonal full-time and part-time cooks and prep cooks for the upcoming 2019 season.
The Kitchen Team at PEEC: We care deeply about our work and the craftsmanship that goes into it. We are here to have fun, work in a great team environment, and provide our staff, and campers/visitors with a welcoming space to gather for great food.
Prep/Cooks: We are looking for team members that geek out on all things food and/or science related; must have at least 1 year of related culinary experience or an interest and willingness to learn; and must be dependable, a team player, self-starter, and have willingness to take and give direction.
Prep Staff: Are responsible for general food prep, meal service, as well as cleaning all areas of the Dining Hall, and helping to keep a clean and organized work space. They must be skilled in multitasking and able to adapt to ever changing conditions. A primary function of this and every other job at PEEC is to ensure that each staff member, camper, and visitor receives the highest caliber of service.
Cooks: Are responsible for cooking and providing well-prepared meals for campers/visitors and staff, preparing meals for special diets, and cleaning/ organizing kitchen and appliances as well as general cleaning. They must be skilled in moving around the kitchen and apt in multi-tasking. Experience in using various ingredients and cooking techniques is also important. A primary function of this and every other job at PEEC is to ensure that each staff member, camper/visitor receives the highest caliber of service.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule (at least one weekend day each week is a must)
- Work in a fast paced environment with constantly changing demands and have the ability to adapt
- Ensure cleanliness of food preparation and delivery areas
- Follow state health department regulations pertaining to safe food practice
- Responsible for rotating stock
- Check in all food/supply orders
- Prepares all meals on time as scheduled or assigned by the director
- Knowledge of food allergies and food related diseases, and the ingredients that may cause the allergy/disease.
- Be willing and prepared to meet special food requirements for both campers and staff; e.g. gluten free and vegetarian diets
- Keep kitchen clean and in accordance with department of health regulations at all times
- Sanitize kitchen surfaces regularly throughout the day;
- Wash hands frequently while working in the kitchen and in accordance with department of health regulations
- Report any accidents or injuries to director
- Assist in weekly deep cleaning of specific areas in the kitchen, e.g. floors, vent hoods, etc.
- All other duties as assigned
- Experience cooking and serving in a high volume kitchen
- Experience with special dietary needs
- Current Safe Serve certification or willingness to obtain one within 60 days of being hired
- Excellent working skills including: communication skills, organizational skills and attention to details
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects of at least 50 pounds
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Work in extreme temperatures
- Hear and listen
- Sit, stoop, kneel, and crouch
- Work with chemicals
- Work with noise
At PEEC we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our staff, campers/ visitors, and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Hourly pay rate is commensurate with experience.Compensation this position is PAID: hourly, varies DOE, $10.00 - $14.00 Work visa This employer is willing to sponsor a work visa for international applicants How to apply Please click here to sign in and view application details.
If you are not registered, you'll be prompted to do so. Don't worry, it's free! Deadlineno deadline Attachment click here to download the attached document.